Palm Desktop for X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
am i missing something? apple lists palm desktop for x.1 as part of their x.1 release but i've yet to see it anywhere... AND I REALLY NEED MY PALM DESKTOP ON OS X.1! :-)

junkE/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's been on <a href="http://www.palm.com"; target="_blank">www.palm.com</a> for weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>It's been on <a href="http://www.palm.com"; target="_blank">www.palm.com</a> for weeks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ha ha. Very funny. If only it were true.

We've had several threads about this before. Why do people never bother to do a search before posting a new thread? In any case, Palm has stated that they would ship Palm Desktop for OS X before the end of the year. I find it suspicious that we have had no word on this, official or unofficial, beyond the blurb and quote on Apple's OS X Applications page. My hunch is that Palm's financial woes have slowed development to a pace even slower than usual.

As a best case scenario, Palm is simply waiting to make a big splash at MWSF in January. At worst, we'll have to wait several more months. I can easily see Jobs get on stage at MWSF to announce that the new LCD iMac boots into OS X by default and ships with Palm Desktop for OS X for unadulterated digital hub functionality. In fact now that I think of it, I am almost certain that Jobs asked Palm to hold Palm Desktop X for the new LCD iMac introduction.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

Ha ha. Very funny. If only it were true.

We've had several threads about this before. Why do people never bother to do a search before posting a new thread? In any case, Palm has stated that they would ship Palm Desktop for OS X before the end of the year. I find it suspicious that we have had no word on this, official or unofficial, beyond the blurb and quote on Apple's OS X Applications page. My hunch is that Palm's financial woes have slowed development to a pace even slower than usual.

As a best case scenario, Palm is simply waiting to make a big splash at MWSF in January. At worst, we'll have to wait several more months. I can easily see Jobs get on stage at MWSF to announce that the new LCD iMac boots into OS X by default and ships with Palm Desktop for OS X for unadulterated digital hub functionality. In fact now that I think of it, I am almost certain that Jobs asked Palm to hold Palm Desktop X for the new LCD iMac introduction.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

Escher,

You called me out a little too early. I wanted to teach the newbies the "search first, post second" lesson but that point has now been lost. Oh well. I'll continue my crusade elsewhere
  • Reply 4 of 7
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Dont be too nasty to JunkE - if he was as desperate as I was to get my palm backed up after the move to X then I understand his frustration.

In any event JunkE, there are plenty of threads which will tell you that Desktop palm 2.6.3 runs splendidly right in classic with the USB kit and upgraded driver. In fact, it works much better than it ever did with OS 9 in my experience. i have not missed a sync since the OS X.1 upgrade.

Cheers

adam
  • Reply 5 of 7
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    If Palm does not release the stupid software within the next 2-3 months, Apple should look into creating their own PDA.

This is getting ridiculous...I want to be able to sync OS X native apps (Mail.app, Entourage X) with my Palm...until I can do that, my Palm Vx is a paperweight. Either the Palm will have to go, or the Mac (for me)....and I have a feeling it'll be the Palm.

-Moazam (very agitated with this Palm bull&lt;snip&gt; . )

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: moazam ]

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: moazam ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Is anyone syncing CorporateTime under Classic?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Escher,

You called me out a little too early. I wanted to teach the newbies the "search first, post second" lesson but that point has now been lost. Oh well. I'll continue my crusade elsewhere </strong><hr></blockquote>

torifile: That'll teach me to watch my mouth. What's an educator who can't even recognize his fellow teachers? I should have been more suspicious...

In any case, Go2Mac has some intersting new information about Palm Desktop for X, hidden in an article about <a href="http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8733"; target="_blank">syncing with Entourage X</a>. The kicker is that Palm Desktop for X may be a conduit only, "making an application like Entourage essential." Will OS X really spell the end of the reincarnation of Claris Organizer?

Escher