Software replace ClarisDraw?

jgjg
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am wondering if there is any OS 9 or OS X software that will import my OS 7.5.1 ClarisDraw files and simultaneously let me edit their visual draw and text components? I am still using a 1995 PPC machine and have spent so many hundreds of hours creating ClarisDraw files for my hobby (genealogy) I can't think of abandoning them. Claris is defuncet and ClarisDraw was abandoned with the advent of OS 8. I'd love to buy a new Mac but don't even know if it will work under OS 9. Can anyone tell me if it will and/or if you know of another draw program that will update it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Hmm. Can ClarisDraw save files in any other formats?

If not, your best bet is to get something like Print2PDF, which makes ClarisDraw think that it's printing, but it actually creates a PDF file with the image.

-robo
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jgjg Posts: 4member
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>Hmm. Can ClarisDraw save files in any other formats?

If not, your best bet is to get something like Print2PDF, which makes ClarisDraw think that it's printing, but it actually creates a PDF file with the image.

-robo</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Apparently ClarisDraw is supposed to save files in something called ClarisDraw Stationery, ClairsDraw Options, PICT, CGM and ESPF. I've tried saving it in ClarisDraw and CGM but to no avail. I was told by Apple Tech people quite some time ago that I could import it into AppleWorks, but my ClarisWorks 5 won't even import it. I can copy ClarisDraw files to an AppleWorks page, but it seems to copy it solely as a grouped PICT file, requiring me to separate the PICT components and then edit each one of their text and draw components indiviually! Not practical!!!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Apparently ClarisDraw is supposed to save files in something called ClarisDraw Stationery, ClairsDraw Options, PICT, CGM and ESPF. I've tried saving it in ClarisDraw and CGM but to no avail. I was told by Apple Tech people quite some time ago that I could import it into AppleWorks, but my ClarisWorks 5 won't even import it. I can copy ClarisDraw files to an AppleWorks page, but it seems to copy it solely as a grouped PICT file, requiring me to separate the PICT components and then edit each one of their text and draw components indiviually! Not practical!!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    ClarisDraw can save the files in EPS format, you say? Just about any illustration software can open those. Not sure about AppleWorks though...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Try Illustrator.