Some reminiscing: Old Mac on Intel threads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This topic has come up a lot in the past, and it's entertaining to look back and read some of the old threads. What strikes me is the absolute vehemence and anger that lots of folks showed at anyone who suggested this.

Looking back, the main argument against the move was that Apple would die because they make their profits from hardware, and no one would buy Apple hardware anymore.

Here are some old threads and some choice quotes.

A good one.

Quote:

Why do people keep asking about OSX on Intel. I guess people are just "stuck on stupid"

Another.

Quote:

In other words, he's expecting Apple to abandon a strategy the wisdom of which the market is just realizing, adopt an ancient ISA in the twilight of its existence and dive into the same market everyone else is scrambling to get out of. Ha.

Another.

Quote:

This is so stupid. Why won't this concept just DIE the horrible death it deserves.

And finally.

Quote:

Let me tell this straight : there is more chance that Steve Jobs change of sex than that Apple switch of CPU in the next coming years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    followfollow Posts: 10member
    I wonder how these and other apple discussion boards will change, without such a fundamental conflict?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

This topic has come up a lot in the past, and it's entertaining to look back and read some of the old threads. What strikes me is the absolute vehemence and anger that lots of folks showed at anyone who suggested this.

Looking back, the main argument against the move was that Apple would die because they make their profits from hardware, and no one would buy Apple hardware anymore.

Here are some old threads and some choice quotes.

And finally.

Thanks this one is from me

Althought, Brussel I have a mission for you, you should check the sex of SJ. According to your sig, you are the only one able to do the job.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I've not checked them all but that first one appears to a slightly different rumour, a favourite of slashdot readers who build their own systems, which is that Apple would release OS X for any old x86 box as a direct challenge to MSFT on their own turf.

This *was* and *is* stupid as Apple would have no way to provide the level of quality and integration that they are famous for without control of both hardware and software.

Though there is interesting speculation that Apple has allowed the leak of the x86 build of 10.4.1 to hook interested geeks while preventing them from actually running it as a proper OS (no security updates etc.)