MATLAB on OS X petition

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have started a petition to the Mathworks, Inc. to release a version of MATLAB for OS X. It can be found at <a href="http://www.PetitionOnline.com/matlabx/petition.html"; target="_blank">http://www.PetitionOnline.com/matlabx/petition.html</a>;

Mathworks discontinued Macintosh support for MATLAB a few years ago and many MATLAB users were forced to switch to Linux or Windows. I asked the founder of Mathworks over a year ago why they stopped supporting the Mac. He said that the Mac versions of MATLAB needed to be tested 'by hand' with an engineer on a Macintosh. The other versions could be tested automatically on a local network. In other words, they could not justify the costs of Macintosh support considering the size of the user base.

Given that MacOS X is similar to many of the systems they support, it seems that their reason for not supporting the OS is no longer valid. MacOS X allows remote login and running scripts from a terminal is trivial.

If you are a Macintosh user, a MATLAB user, or both, and would like to see this product on MacOS X, please sign the petition and spread the word.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    Here's why Matlab management will probably not address this:

Matlab has more or less decided that pursuing a Java? version of Matlab is sufficient a solution to this problem. While it isn't the same finesse product a full blown OS X native version would be, it is the most efficient usage of their engineering resources.

This is not what I think. This is what I think they think.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    zenozeno Posts: 28member
    YYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

Everyone should sign the petition and spread the word!!!!!

MatLab for OS X is so important!!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    If you wish to state your opinion that The MathWorks should develop a version of Matlab for OS X please email The MathWorks at [email protected]. The opinions of our customers carries considerable weight when planning for the future.

There you go. Now you can all preech to them on why OS X will make such a wonderful platform for Matlab compared to OS 9.