porting

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not a programmer so I am no familiar with this.

Once OSX is running on Intel, will it be easier for software developers to port Windows apps over to OSX?

Just disregard this if it has already been posted....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blizaine

I'm not a programmer so I am no familiar with this.

Once OSX is running on Intel, will it be easier for software developers to port Windows apps over to OSX?

Just disregard this if it has already been posted....

Some aspects will be easier (SSE, ASM code, no byteswapping)...some won't change (OS specific stuff).

The biggest problem early-bird developers will face is porting two both Intel *and* PPC to make their binary Universal. They will either have tons more work (doing a Universal Binary) or not as much work (just an x86 build).

In the end and on average though, the effort and time will probably be the same.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Of course, if they are starting a new project on the Mac (as in a first port), the (in most cases) obvious choice is to use Cocoa and Xcode... which gets you the Universal Binary essentially for free.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Of course, if they are starting a new project on the Mac (as in a first port), the (in most cases) obvious choice is to use Cocoa and Xcode... which gets you the Universal Binary essentially for free.

That's what the people behind Skype did, and they've done a pretty nice job. I don't think the Skype team will have any trouble recompiling for x86.

Now if Adobe could consider dropping its ancient source code. Nah...not gonna happen.