Aaargh - stupid Windows "illegal operation" lies are on Mac OS X now?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This window popped up... but I can drag it to the bottom of the screen and continue using the application without any problems.

Really, really stupid.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Do you have the developer tools installed? Perhaps it gives more detailed info in response to that.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

This window popped up... but I can drag it to the bottom of the screen and continue using the application without any problems.

Really, really stupid.

As far as I know, its the OS that kills the application when it makes an illegal operation. Since this is a developer version of OS X on Intel, OS X might not accually kill the application when it does an illegal operation (although it probably should). It might make some sense to not kill it on a developer system ?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I just find it amusing in a very unamusing way that the OS claims that it's crashed, but I can still use it and send messages.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I get this all the time with OmniWeb. The crash reporter pops up and all I do is move it to one side until I am ready to quit.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

I get this all the time with OmniWeb. The crash reporter pops up and all I do is move it to one side until I am ready to quit.

Accually, I wouldn't mind to have some of this functionality. Take this scenario for instance...

You are using MS Word (or any other application that you are writing in/performing work). If the application makes an illegal operation a dialog pops up that gives the user the option to quit the app right away, or to save whatever open documents to a temporary file inside ~/SavedFromCrash/ (so not to risk writing garble over your accual work). Additionally a checkbox can be enabled to send a crash report to the developer.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    You should use Adium.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

You should use Adium.

I can't tell the difference between any of them. I like the theme customizability of Proteus, though.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I can't tell the difference between any of them. I like the theme customizability of Proteus, though.

Proteus has some lax development. Adium has lots of customization.

www.adiumxtras.com
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Looks like they've changed A LOT singe I last tried it.

I'll be trying this out; I think I like it.