Mac Tablet PC - Evidence?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Look at this:

http://www.thetabletmac.com/content/view/47/1/

So, he says that this is not made by Apple. And, we all know that Steve Jobs said that they´re going to switch to Intel.

Now, here are my speculations:

This could be the first "Mactel" - Steve said that they want to create Hardware with Intel processors that they can´t build with the PowerPC now. This could mean Laptops (G5 Powerbook = impossible!), but also an OS X based tablet PC, which would be impossible with a G5, too.

Intel has the Know-how of the Windoze Tablet PCs, and the Centrino at their side. Sounds reasonable to believe.

-end personal speculation-

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Look at this:

http://www.thetabletmac.com/content/view/47/1/

So, he says that this is not made by Apple. And, we all know that Steve Jobs said that they´re going to switch to Intel.

Now, here are my speculations:

This could be the first "Mactel" - Steve said that they want to create Hardware with Intel processors that they can´t build with the PowerPC now. This could mean Laptops (G5 Powerbook = impossible!), but also an OS X based tablet PC, which would be impossible with a G5, too.

Intel has the Know-how of the Windoze Tablet PCs, and the Centrino at their side. Sounds reasonable to believe.

-end personal speculation-

It is interesting that your take on the products that "they can't build with the PPC now" are new models of an existing computer type--the laptop--and a failed computer type--the tablet PC. My take on Jobs's statements is that Apple plans new and innovative products rather than just new models of old products.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Red herring warning: Since the development Marklar runs on generic hardware, we will be seeing a lot of people moving it to various platforms. Most of us don't think it's Apple's intent, at this time, to license Mac OS X to third parties.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

It is interesting that your take on the products that "they can't build with the PPC now" are new models of an existing computer type--the laptop--and a failed computer type--the tablet PC.

Point is: A G5 in a Laptop seems impossible, as well as in a tablet PC.

I wouldn´t consider the Tablet PC "failed" - I think most people just don´t see the pros of it, mainly because of the half-hearted attempts (soft-, and hardware wise).

I´d buy a OS X based Tablet PC :3
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

I wouldn´t consider the Tablet PC "failed" - I think most people just don´t see the pros of it, mainly because of the half-hearted attempts (soft-, and hardware wise).

Whatever you prefer to call it, you are describing failure.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Well, I for one am FOR the idea of a laptop with built-in WACOM tablet support that over-lays the screen. In my mind, the average PC-user is a business oriented consumer with a spreadsheet open. I really don't think that innovation in this sense is a good idea on the PC side. People using PC's don't want to see something new, they generally only want to have everything run perfectly without viruses.

For innovation, Apple has got the right crowd over them. A tablet that will allow you to draw animation-quality sketches on it? Potentially work with hand-recognition software, inkwell? Biggest of all is to have enough resolution on the pickup pad to be able to recognize handwriting without the need to convert.

I would take lists down all the time on my Newton without the need to convert to any font. Though, I would have liked to write smaller. The striving force for a paperless environment, + Apple, is getting ever-closer and I think this will aid in that long stretch.

-walloo.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    To me any tablet PC bigger than 10" diameter is too big. It would weigh a ton or snap in two if dropped.

I now want a grey-scale mini-wacom-like LCD screen that pops out of the side of my PB that scales to the screen or focuses on a window of the screen and lets me write on it when i want to add handwriting or hand drawings to a document.

Other than that, just a device like the Clio (sp?) of old (remember those?) basically a Newton the size of a paperback, with a swing monitor could cover the keyboard and run by an ARM chip, would be useful and actually ideal, especially if it ran OSX reasonably well AND if widgets became a whole class of applications that were mini-versions of the full apps. Some of the widgets are getting to that level already! Thus a slow, cool chip would be sufficient and it could take over what my Vizor does now.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

It is interesting that your take on the products that "they can't build with the PPC now" are new models of an existing computer type--the laptop--and a failed computer type--the tablet PC. My take on Jobs's statements is that Apple plans new and innovative products rather than just new models of old products.

I would not say that the tablet PC failed, it is turning up a lot in the offices of doctors and h (as well as other niche markets). It is not wildly popular right now, but as the technology goes up, and we start getting tablets about the same size and weight as the current powerbook displays, I think that their market share will increase significantly.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't think the tablet can really take off until there is impeccable speech recognition and voice synthesis. You might ask why would a tablet need this? A successful tablet is one that lacks a keyboard. I believe most people don't like to write a lot, and typing would be much faster. A successful tablet is one that lacks a keyboard. No writing, no typing. So voice capabilities must be mint and are key. Just point and click and talk! Knowledge Navigator? Hmmmm.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I would just LOVE a tablet, it would fit so much better in my purposes in college. Instead of taking notes on paper and losing it and having my notebook fill up to the brim with notes.... a tablet would allow me to take notes digitally and file them in spaces no more than a couple of megs and a heck of alot easier to organize and keep through the years...

Some things can't easily be typed out on the fly in class... like math...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    What if you could fit the acceleration chips that are now in the laptop Mac's harddrives near the head of a pen ?

What if the new CPUs that use very little power coming from Intel are small enough to fit in a Pen ??

And what if the new Intel WiMax chips and antenna had a version that were quite small ???

THEN YOU COULD BUILD A PEN THAT COULD COMMUNICATE ALL MOVEMENTS AND MORE to your laptop while you draw or write on a normal pad of paper !!!

Via wireless connection your laptop could record what the pen is doing.

There could be jestgers like writing 4 L shapes to make the corners of a square to represent the computer screen and then draw within it to click buttons and work menus. You might do this while the screen is projected on a wall in front of you.

Mean while your laptop is sitting nearby, does the laptop have a projector in it ???

I have heard that in the next year or two projectors will get to the size of 1 inch square, and that these could be used to make LCD like screens.

APPLE SHOULD BE DOING THIS BUT THEY WON'T.

Apple NEVER moves this fast, they will wait until someone else does it, and its is well reviewed THEN APPLE WILL DO IT, OR STEAL IT !!!

This is pretty close, No special pad or tablet required: Free to use on almost any surface, but it needs some really HOT software to make it sing...

http://www.zyonshop.com/product/ipen.htm
  • Reply 11 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I like that pen as input device Idea!!

It would be nice as word processing app or use in old school datebook with ical synch!

as for the small projectors didn't Kormac preach that one???
  • Reply 12 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Gah!

Another TabletPC thread. People the reality is Tablets are going to be a niche product. Input efficiency is vital and I agree voice recognition would be the key but there's only a handful of companies doing well here.

No one in large numbers is calling on this stuff where I am. There's not enough killer apps yet. Apple should keep their eyes peeled but not waste time and money making a Tablet yet.