This is how to block Office v.X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It always goes over port 222 and then sends over a random one on 222 between 3000 and 4000. Just block 222 in the command line with this command:

sudo ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222

And then the check will not occur.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Yes and no. That will work until the next time you reboot. To have this done automatically each time, the great Barry Sharp has provided instructions in another thread: [quote]In directory /Library/StartupItems define a directory called BlockOffice. You now have /Library/StartupItems/BlockOffice.

In the BlockOffice directory create a text script file as follows

#!/bin/sh

ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222

ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464

and name this file OfficeBlocker and make it executable (chmod u+x ./OfficeBlocker)

Now create a file named StartupParameters.plist as follows using your favorite Terminal.app editor

{

Description = "Office v.X Blocker";

Provides = ("OfficeBlocker");

Requires = ("Resolver");

Uses = ("Network Time","NFS");

OrderPreference = "Late";

Messages = {

start = "Starting OfficeBlocker Services";

stop = "Stopping OfficeBlocker Services";

};

}

Now whenever you boot the ipfw command should be executed.

I've not checked any of the above out (and it could contain errors), but conceptualy this is how you can do things of this kind at startup. There are other ways to do this also such as modifying the /etc/rc scripts.

BTW the ipfw command may or may not do what you want as I've not checked any of this out yet -- just wanted to give you something to be working on

Regards... Barry Sharp<hr></blockquote>

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 15
    This is how I heard it:

sudo ipfw add 0 deny udp from any to any 2222

sudo ipfw add 0 deny tcp from any to any 3464

These are the two ports Office opens and looks at over your network.

It was worked out on a forum here:

<a href="http://www.macosx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7599&perpage=15?referre rid=2736" target="_blank">http://www.macosx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7599&perpage=15?referre rid=2736</a>
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Indeed it seems you are correct, FormerLurker.

I have edited Barry's script above to match.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Actually, here's a better idea (at least, for the terminal-phobic). Just use BrickHouse! I can't believe I forgot about this super-easy-to-configure software.

• Reply 5 of 15
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    So far [past 3 weeks] I have had no issues with the 3484 port, just 2222. Strange that blocking the one works for me regardless of reboots.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Hack your Mac!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I am a complete newbie. I have Brickhouse but it doesn't look like the image here.

What do I write, and where do I put it?

Do I add the scripts that people have listed in the advanced settings of Brickhouse?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Nevermind, I figured it out!!!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Every time I launch an Office X app I get this error:

"An unexpected error ocurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework X library."

Everything should be installed correctly however. Any ideas?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Here's hot you configure BrickHouse to block Office for other newbies to firewall software:

Once you've set up your firewall through the assistant or whatever:[*]click "Add FIlter"[*]select Deny from the Action menu[*]choose Custom Service from the combo box (and you can give it a custom name like I did)[*]set the protocol and port[*]change both the Source and Destination to "Other..." and leave "any" as th Host IP

Done!

Xool: I haven't seen that error since I used the various betas of Office. Did you pirate your copy or are you using a retail version? If the latter, I'd contact Microsoft immediately. If the former, well, you're on your own. Duh.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm using the final version of Office v. X, however I was previously using a beta version. I think I'll try a reinstall and report in.

Side note: the install I did the first time was a drag n' drop install versus using the office installer... in case anyone was interested.

Monkeys.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I'm attempting to use Firewalk X which is a GUI controller for OS X's built-in firewall. Granted, I know very little about how all this works. I played around with the rules for a while and I got it to work (partially). If my Powermac (has the rules defined on it) starts Word first, then my iMac can start Word and they will both work (no rules defined on iMac). If I start Word up on the iMac first, then it's no-go for my Powermac.

Also, once I shut down Firewalk X on my Powermac, all of a sudden my iMac gave the "exceeded licenses" message and shut down Word???

I thought the built-in firewall was automatically running, I didn't think starting/shutting down Firewalk controlled whether or not the built-in firewall is running.

Can anyone clue me in here?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fuzz_ball:

It sounds like your PowerMac's firewall is blocking the transmission receiving, but not outgoing. I don't have any idea how Firewalk works, but I would guess you can setup the rules similar to how I described above.... OR you could give Brickhouse a brief try to see if that'll work any better. Brickhouse works basically the same by configuring the built-in firewall

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Bogie! Your sudo command worked like a charm! (Brickhouse didn't) Thanks. Where'd you learn to sling command lines around like that?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I tried the .plist file for getting the script to launch at boot but have been unsuccessful. I used Text Editor to create it, don't worry I made it PlainText and saved it without the .txt extension, so that isn't the problem.

Any ideas.