Intel Shifts Pentium 4 to 64-Bits

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hook, line and sinker. Surprised this was not already posted. This reassures me that Apple is going to continue to use 64 bit. I was concerned up till this point.

Quote:

Intel shifted the majority of its Pentium 4 processors to 64-bit capability over the weekend.

Intel quietly introduced the Intel 5x1 series, which shifts the existing 775-pin, 32-bit Pentium 4 line?known as the 5xx series?to 64-bit memory addressing.

For customers, all this means is that Intel is encouraging its customers to buy 64-bit chips instead of the older 32-bit Pentium 4s; save for the 64-bit capability, the new 5x1 series is identical to the older 32-bit Pentium 4s, and priced identically. The unspoken message is that a customer will receive 64-bit capability for free.

All of Intel's 775-pin chips now include 5x1 representatives with one exception, ranging from the 3.8-GHz Intel 571 on the high end to the 3-GHz Intel 571. On Intel's price list, the 64-bit version of the Intel 520 is also labeled as the Intel 520.

Prices of the new chips range from $163 to $637, in lots of 1,000 units.

eWeek Link: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1827984,00.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Good catch!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Good catch!

haha Thanks! I wonder if Apple stressed them on this or if it was just a logical progression. Maybe a little bit of both? This will only mean great things when these new machines come out. Sounds like it will be pretty much across the board so we will likely get 64-Bit on both the consumer and pro products.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    Beat me to it actually. Just saw it on MacNN. Here's the link that MacNN sends you to if you want to read the article yourself.

But yeah, I'd say this clears everything up as much as it can be.

I wonder what the dev machines are? When are they supposed to be delivered? I couldn't imagine that someone hadn't picked up that the machines at WWDC were 64-bit versions, or Apple could just be waiting to ship the machines until Intel made the 64-bit official so they could put them in their boxes.

Just speculating, that's what this place is for.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

This reassures me that Apple is going to continue to use 64 bit. I was concerned up till this point.

Apple isn't going to use the Pentium4. You still shouldn't worry about 64 bit support though.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    actually, if you count the dev machine as an apple product, they ARE using P4's...how do we know they won't continue to use them? The eMac would be a prime candidate for such a processor.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Do the Dev machines use this 64 bit chip, did Apple get some pre-prod samples to incorporate into these machines?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

actually, if you count the dev machine as an apple product, they ARE using P4's...how do we know they won't continue to use them? The eMac would be a prime candidate for such a processor.

Because he's listened to Steve at the WWDC keynote. Steve said he hopes to have a shipping Mactel system by WWDC 2006. Thus it is more likely that we'll see a Yonah based system first in the Mac mini, eMac or iMac. Reason? Yonah will have a TBD of 31 watts or less versus today Pentium 4 which has a TBD of 90+ watts for a single core processor.

Considering that an eMac has a CRT and cramped case the Pentium 4 is "not" the prime candidate for such use.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Intel made it very clear a long time ago that the entire product line was shifting to 64-bits.

Intel has been shipping 64-bit CPUs for about a year now. I've been running 64-bit CPUs since October of last year.

Intel's move to 64-bit x86 CPUs was driven by competition with AMD. AMD brought out a 64-bit version of their x86 machines about 18 monts ago. People liked that product and it began to hurt Intel's sales. So Intel began shipping 64-bit chips.

This has nothing to do with Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    EDIT: moved my reply, sorry
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

I have a few remarks about this Yonah. First a bit of history, whe IBM switched from 130nm to 90nm there were huge problems and I think for Intel to, but I don't know for sure. ATI and nVidia had problems switching to a smaller die.

Why wouldn't there be problems with the switch to 65nm? They say Q1 for first shipments, but I don't think there will be large quantities.

What do you think?

No offense but this topic is not about Yonah, there are plenty other topics about that. Lets keep to subject please?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    coders: how is 64-bit addressing extracted in stevie J's universal binaries?

like is there more shit to worry about now, like, 32-bit ppc, 32-bit intel, 64-bit ppc, 64-bit intel??

obviously maintaining 4 code branches is not the case, what is the approach here dudes/dudettes ? just curious, as i'm sure quite a number of us are.

how do you write and compile for a 32/64/intel/ppc universal binary?

are there APIs (frameworks??) that abstract out the memory addressing and endian stuff, like the abstracting out of altivec-type functions?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

coders: how is 64-bit addressing extracted in stevie J's universal binaries?

like is there more shit to worry about now, like, 32-bit ppc, 32-bit intel, 64-bit ppc, 64-bit intel??

obviously maintaining 4 code branches is not the case, what is the approach here dudes/dudettes ? just curious, as i'm sure quite a number of us are.

how do you write and compile for a 32/64/intel/ppc universal binary?

are there APIs (frameworks??) that abstract out the memory addressing and endian stuff, like the abstracting out of altivec-type functions?

with the move to 64 bits starting now, all of intels cpus will be 64 bit when the macintels come around, will they not?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jaffijaffi Posts: 14member
    As far as what I saw on Intel's site the P4, Extreme and D are all 64 bit chips. They just aren't channeled for 64 bit operation. They knew MS was going 64 so they were just waiting. Then Apple comes along and no doubt they're going to switch. The industry is pushing to go that way. Then what does the future bring? 128 bit?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

with the move to 64 bits starting now, all of intels cpus will be 64 bit when the macintels come around, will they not?

well, i don't know if yonah will be 64bits
  • Reply 15 of 17
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

well, i don't know if yonah will be 64bits

what i've heard is all new intel chips are 64 bit, it's just not 'activated' on some but will be from now on.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jaffijaffi Posts: 14member
    No, I don't think the Yonah will be 64 bit. I believe it's based on the Pentium M, so that tells me that they're just 32. As far as this 64 bit thing goes, Intel has had it on their website for about 6 months now. They have 64 bit, they just don't have anybody that can utilize it. So what do they do? Make 3 chips that support it, leave them at 32 bit, then when somebody can use it they can switch it. Pretty simple and definately thinking towards the future. Regardless, the macs that ship with Intel chips will blow away our current offerings and what IBM will have in the future. I'm pretty sure of that.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yonah is not 64bit and Neither is Banias and Dothan.

I think we're looking at Merom before we get 64bit performance. Intel stated 64bit would consume more battery life.