AIM keeps closing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On my 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook, AIM keeps shutting down automatically with no explanation. It happens every once in awhile. This is my second PowerBook, as the first one has a kernel panic. This second PB as well as the first always had AIM shutting down at random times. Doesn't happen with my Mac mini, though. The first PB was created from scratch - the second PB created by transferring files from Mac mini to PB via firewire.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

On my 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook, AIM keeps shutting down automatically with no explanation.

And the problem is? Seems to be doing you a favor. All kidding aside. Why not use iChat? It does AIM.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    It's probably not related, but at work our IT people were getting slammed with service requests for the past two days because of the gpic.aol worm.

Macs may not be affected, I don't know. Just throwing the info out there.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I'm not used to the iChat format - I'm comfortable with the current AIM set up. I'll give it a go to see if I like it.

I'll reinstall AIM and see what happens - but this is my second PowerBook, so the problem has to be among all PowerBooks - at least from this last speed bump.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    naknak Posts: 101member
    If you don't like iChat, then get a different version of AIM (maybe you don't have the latest version, maybe an older version would work better).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

On my 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook, AIM keeps shutting down automatically with no explanation. It happens every once in awhile. This is my second PowerBook, as the first one has a kernel panic. This second PB as well as the first always had AIM shutting down at random times. Doesn't happen with my Mac mini, though. The first PB was created from scratch - the second PB created by transferring files from Mac mini to PB via firewire.

you do realize that the mac machiens come w/ ichat, right???? and aim doesnt need to be downloaded... b/c ichat is compatible w/ aim... lil different set up but nothing major.. and your friends who use aim can talk to you... so its win win w/ ichat
  • Reply 6 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Perhaps your network connection is dropping and thus AIM disconnects.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    I'm having the same problem too on my g4pb. Yet my old g3 ibook seems to be doing fine, i'll dl an older version and see if it betters.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    heh? AIM does this too?..

I thought it is only an MSN thing. My msn disconnects on me every 5~10 min..(sometimes) I thought it was something Microsoft had done intentionally..
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by BMWintoxication

heh? AIM does this too?..

I thought it is only an MSN thing. My msn disconnects on me every 5~10 min..(sometimes) I thought it was something Microsoft had done intentionally..

if msn closes.. will yahoo close on panther you think?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ragingloogie View Post

you do realize that the mac machiens come w/ ichat, right???? and aim doesnt need to be downloaded... b/c ichat is compatible w/ aim... lil different set up but nothing major.. and your friends who use aim can talk to you... so its win win w/ ichat

you do realize you're an idiot right???????? it's pretty obvious the guy likes AIM over iChat. when he says "I'm not used to the iChat format - I'm comfortable with the current AIM set up", that's a pretty good clue he prefers AIM over i Chat i'd say. That's great and all if you like iChat, i dont care, and i dont think he does either. He's looking for help on why his AIM is shutting down.

god some people are retarded. read loogie
  • Reply 11 of 13
    my AIM quites unexpectidely too every time I a) scroll too far down in my buddy list or b) when I'm scrolling in someones profile and c) when I am editing my profile, select all, delete, then click delete again...

Three times - very consistently...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    AIM consistently quits on my MacBook Pro Intel, at random times for no apparent reason. I have the most recent version of AIM, but of course AOL updates AIM for PC like every 5 minutes, and hasn't updated AIM for mac since 2004. I'm not suprised. Anyway, I couldn't get it to work right so I gave up and went to iChat. much much better
  • Reply 13 of 13
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ragingloogie View Post

if msn closes.. will yahoo close on panther you think?

My Yahoo Messenger does it also. I'm using an Intel C2D iMac. It's always done it. Quite annoying, even to the point that I haven't been using it that much.