The Leopard Changes its Spots PPC to Intel BUT...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
(probably should go in a diff. forum. Sorry in advance)

What will Leopard bring to us? This will have to be a real kick in the teeth release for MS and Longhorn. Maybe Apple will release Leopard onto the wintel masses... who really knows? only SJ and a few select trusted people. However, Leopard will need to dampen Longhorns release, especially when they'll be running on the same hardware platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crustibooga

However, Leopard will need to dampen Longhorns release

Apple will most likely include with each copy of Leopard free coupons for bovine burgers. That'll stop the sale of Longhorn right in its hooves.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Full 64 bit support

Optimizations and tweaks to APIs. A few new things but not many.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I suspect it will include the long overdue "resolution independence" for the GUI, which will allow Apple to be more flexible re high res displays. The technology is all there now, just a matter of coming up with an plan to implement.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i'm sure that leopard will mark the death of classic as we know it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I doubt it; x86 has already done that. I don't think Apple would remove Classic functionality from 10.5 on PPC just to spite people. The transition to x86 in and of itself will kill Classic.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    I really hope it comes out right around longhorn, before would be nice, but after would be too...just as long as it's no later than a month afterwards. Then the people have to look at these two new operating systems, one that still looks like windows 95, and one with some of the most advanced features out there

also, if apple uses high end intel hardware that the oems are scared to touch, leopard and possibly even longhorn would run better on mactels than wintels, wouldn't that really be a kick in the teeth?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

also, if apple uses high end intel hardware that the oems are scared to touch, leopard and possibly even longhorn would run better on mactels than wintels, wouldn't that really be a kick in the teeth?

This is the key. The whole Mac ethos is the integration of hardware and software and this is a fantastic opportunity to boost market share. Intel are building loads of functionality onto the 'board; if apple can utilise all those goodies in a very sexy fashion compared to, say, a Dell running LongWait, just imagine the publicity and column inches that would create. "Apple out-PC's the PC" etc. If the macines will also run LongWait nicely, its all good. This is precisely what Intel want out of Apple; to push the PC OEM's to forget all the legacy crap and get with the program (and sell more PC's).

I also think Leopard will at least go part way to resolution independence. There will be a lot of eye-candy with layers and transitions and so-forth.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    There's going to be an opportunity for some provocative advertising:

- Survival of the Fittest: Mac OSX -
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Can't we all just get along?

--B
  • Reply 10 of 12
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Can't we all just get along?

Nope.

Mmm, photoshop. (Was rushed though)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Self optimizing code...

Transitive technology and changes to the systems will implement self optimizing code translations.

The system itself will also adapt to the hardware beneath it to maximize speed.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

also, if apple uses high end intel hardware that the oems are scared to touch...

There is no such thing. When Intel comes out with a new chip, Dell starts shipping it on the same day.