Dell wants to sell OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an email. It's the first time any PC industry executive has openly shown enthusiasm for selling machines with Apple's software. Though that's all Dell would say for the record, I suspect his interest is not unknown to Jobs. So, as I said in this column last week (and in an article in the new issue of FORTUNE), the ball is in Jobs' court.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastf...072719,00.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    If Gateway agrees to do the same, we could see the return of the MOOF!!

--B
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by syno

"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an email. It's the first time any PC industry executive has openly shown enthusiasm for selling machines with Apple's software. Though that's all Dell would say for the record, I suspect his interest is not unknown to Jobs. So, as I said in this column last week (and in an article in the new issue of FORTUNE), the ball is in Jobs' court.

i say go for it. as long as os x can run faster or have more features on the mactel, there's no harm in doing this.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Dell likes to publically flirt with the idea of using AMD too....hasn't happened so far. They love having the option to trot it out in front of Intel to pressure for better contracts. This comment on OSX doesn't seem so different.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

If Gateway agrees to do the same, we could see the return of the MOOF!!

--B

Nice.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Gah must be an MDNer.

That quote doesn't mean Dell wants to bundle OS X or anything like that. It simply means Michael Dell will explore any options that might move more of his shit boxes. Which OS is on them is inconsequential to him, and also says a lot about the philosophy that goes into the making of his name branded computers.

Bling bling.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    insliderinslider Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by syno

Another:

http://news.com.com/Dell+CEO+thinks+...9940&subj=news

The beginning of the end of Windows dominance. {in your best Ronald Reagan voice} "Mr. Jobs: tear... down... this... wall". Once M$ cannot keep Office from running under OSX due to the speed at which Windows emulation will run, it's all over.

Naysayers just witnessed the "unthinkable" switch to Intel. Now these same people will cling to the false hope that OSX will stay on Apple hardware. Don't listen to current Apple marketing. They're saying what they have to say - for now.

Change is in the wind, and the rats are the first ones to smell a feast. They're also the first to tremble at their own impending doom. Before the Intel switch was announced, I said that such an announcement would send the PC world scrambling for higher ground. They all - one by one - will begin positioning themselves for OSX that will run on all Intel machines.

I'm surprised it took this long to begin hearing this kind of news. In the words of Master Yoda, "Begun this Clone War has".
  • Reply 7 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Sorry guys, but I'd rather buy a Dell with OS X than a Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Not gonna happen yet. Apple needs to reach a point where they feel the cost to grow their marketshare with their current brand strategy is more costly than growth through software licensing. In other words, the point where software revenue has greater immediate growth potential than increases in hardware revenue.

And I expect Apple not to favor one PC vendor over another; rather sell Mac OS X86 licenses through standard retail channels, unbundled with PCs to start. The key for Apple will be to capture the very low end of PC box sales with the licensing program.

Oh and Dell's comments just expose them for the giant whores they are. "I can sell it for money? hell yeah. Just put it over next to the plasma TVs." As a sales partner I can think of few that would be less advantageous to Apple than Dell; with their nearly nonexistant product marketing (they market the brand, mostly), and no touchy feely interface, there is little "engaged sales" opportunities to upsell customers to Mac OS.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet Oh and Dell's comments just expose them for the giant whores they are. "I can sell it for money? hell yeah. Just put it over next to the plasma TVs."

Oh yeah. Let us just die of hunger for our marketing and non-profit policy...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i say go for it. as long as os x can run faster or have more features on the mactel, there's no harm in doing this.

wow...

think again.

you just killed apple's hardware bussines.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    synosyno Posts: 33member
    Yahoo news is sayin they contacted a apples spokes woman about this and apples responce was ""Mac OS X will only run on Macs. Apple has no plans to sell Mac OS X software to run on PCs," an Apple spokesperson said in an e-mail response to questions about Dell"

fully story here

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pcworld/121421
  • Reply 12 of 17
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

And must people here would stick their nose up at the Dell in favor of an iMac. Most Mac users are hardcore. However, many actual consumer actually prefer the tower to an all in one due to practicality reasons. Dell, if used right could be a powerful ally. However, Apple would have to keep the reigns tight.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Desktop yes,maybe

laptop; hell no, have you seen a dell laptop, they are inexpencive for a reason, they are CHEAP
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mightyjdmightyjd Posts: 19member
    I am both an experienced PC user and an experieced Mac user. I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. While yes it is a little on the cheap plasticy side. It is actually very nice, much better than other pc laptops I have seen.

There is one reason I love this idea. PRICE!!!!

Here's why.

Inspiron 9300

17" UWXGA

1.6GHz Centrino

1GB DDR2

80GB Disk Drive

256MB GeForce 6800 PCI-E video

8X DVD+/-RW DL

802.11g wireless

bluetooth

TOTAL AFTER $750 DISCOUNT COUPON $1600

PowerBook 17" w/ that much goodies!

ALMOST $3000

That is way too much for any laptop. Plus the video cards in the apple line sucks even if games were actually made for OSX.

THE BEST SOLUTION.

Buy a PC (Dell or other brand) and run both windows and OSX. This allows us to use the greatest OS in the world OSX and all the awesome iapps. And run windows for gaming, and other apps which aren't for mac. i.e. DVD Shrink.

my 2 cents!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Desktop yes,maybe

laptop; hell no, have you seen a dell laptop, they are inexpencive for a reason, they are CHEAP

Their new X1 sub-notebook is pretty nice, of course Samsung makes it but never the less a nice machine. I would buy a Dell tower over an Apple in a heartbeat if it ran OSX. I don't need the industrial design for a premium and I certainly won?t miss the lack of BTO options. Yes, it would destroy the hardware segment of Apple remember the clones. Heck I stopped buying from Apple when I saw the Radius and Power Computing towers, drool.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

wow...

think again.

you just killed apple's hardware bussines.

Aaargh, don't you realize that they would quadruple their OS X sales, if not more, if they made this move? And the margins for an OS X box are much bigger than for any hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

... And the margins for an OS X box are much bigger than for any hardware.

And you know this how?