Upgrade Hd Powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to upgrade my hard drive on a powerbook g4 550mhz. I currently have 20gig and i just bought the Seagate 100gig drive.

My question is how can I transfer all the info I currently have on my drive to the new one?

I heard about the Migration Assistant, but it says from a old Mac to a new one. since I have to take out the old drive to put the new one, how could I use that feature?

I purchased a external case to put my old drive after I take out from my powerbook and then transfer the data back into the new one. Do I have to have Tiger installed in the new drive to be able to transfer? Is there any way that I can make sure all my data from the old drive is transferred to the new one?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use to use Carbon Copy Cloner but it is not Tiger compatible.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

You could also make a disk image using disk utilities.

I like doing a clean install of Tiger on the new drive then connect the old drive and do the migration. Once he gets CCC upgraded, I'd use it because that is the my favorite way of changing drives.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Thanks, I'll look into it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    could always back everything up to cd.. would that work?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What Reg said. Migration Assistant will work fine from any connected volume - it does not have to be another computer. Takes care of all the details for you.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

What Reg said. Migration Assistant will work fine from any connected volume - it does not have to be another computer. Takes care of all the details for you.

I wasn't sure that the Migration Assistant would work from an external HD.

I guess I have to install Tiger on the new drive inside the PB and use the Assistant to tranfer all the files from my old HD inside an external drive.

I think that will work.

Thanks for all the help!