Upgrade cards with Intel chips?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think the possibility of Intel powered upgrade cards, is it possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Wow, sorry..........that........ really is a BAD sentence. It will never happen again......I promise.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    on a thread that I started.

Short answer.

NO.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    I think we actually may see third party cards, probably g5 only as the min requirement...although i doubt it'd be worth it considering you'd still be stuck with the same bus speeds and whatnot
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The PCI bus would seriously limit system performance, and since Apple uses butt-slow PCI, my guess is it would be faster to do Intel emulation on the PPC CPU than to have a real Intel CPU in a PCI slot. But even PCI express would be too slow.

I forget when it was, but Apple previously sold an x86 PCI card that could run Windows. This would have been back when CPUs were much slower, and so a PCI bus could move enough data to make it worthwhile. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure Macs even used PCI back then, but it's the same idea.

My question is, why would you want to put an x86 CPU in your Mac? Apple will support PPC for a long while yet, so our PPC-based Macs will have long lifespans.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I would think that he means upgrade cards (or chips) for future upgrade of the new Intel computers, not a daughter card for the current G5 PowerMacs that would turn them into Intel-i-Macs.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The PCI is not really a problem, since only I/O goes over it. And I wouldn't call PCI-X "butt-slow". I think the big problem is getting enough power to the slot.

Sun has something like this; I wonder how well it works.

http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/sunpcipro/
  • Reply 7 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My take on the question was "will intel CPU upgrades be available for existing PPC Macs". Like take out your G4 chip and drop in a Pentium or whatnot.

I'd say no, but who knows what the upgrade vendors will come up with. I'd expect to see Intel CPU upgrades for Intel macs long before I saw Intel upgrades for PPC macs.

Putting an x86 chip on some sorta PCI card is another story, but don't expect stellar performance.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

The PCI is not really a problem, since only I/O goes over it. And I wouldn't call PCI-X "butt-slow". I think the big problem is getting enough power to the slot.

A bigger problem is that Apple's G5 mobos are ultra-stank.

I read on barefeats that slots 2+3 share the same bus (IIRC).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I read on barefeats that slots 2+3 share the same bus (IIRC).

As opposed to a typical desktop x86 machine that has no PCI-X at all and where all the slots share the same bus.