Creating Disk Images of the proper size?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is a stupid question, but I am having a lot of problems with Disk Utility/CCC/etc. How do I create a restorable disk image with the proper size?

I am attempting to create an image from a 150GB HDD. However, the amount of space taken up on the drive is only about 15GB. It seems that Disk Utility wants to make a system image that is 150GB, regardless of empty space. Is there a way to create an image that is close to the correct size?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

This is a stupid question, but I am having a lot of problems with Disk Utility/CCC/etc. How do I create a restorable disk image with the proper size?

I am attempting to create an image from a 150GB HDD. However, the amount of space taken up on the drive is only about 15GB. It seems that Disk Utility wants to make a system image that is 150GB, regardless of empty space. Is there a way to create an image that is close to the correct size?

Thanks for your time.

Choose "sparse disk image" from the popup in the dialog that you get when you choose "make blank disk image". "Sparse" means it will only be as large as needed to hold the contents. "Read/Write" will make an image that is as large as the whole volume.