Need some expert Firmware advice...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok, to begin i have a G4 Ti Powerbook 400 and an imac (crt) G3 SE 600 slot load.

I have OSX 10.2.8 running on the imac. I did the firmware update, back in the day and OSX has been running great. I'm about to put Tiger on it, but looking at the firmware warning, I'm now worried that i don't have the required update, even though i've updated it once already.

System Profiler under "Hardware Overview" reads Boot ROM info 4.1.7f4. Tiger apparently requires 4.1.9.

Acording to the Apple Firmware chart below it looks like, back in the day, i may have updated my imac with an ibook firmware update instead of the imac firmware update. I don't know how this could have happened or why it worked but i guess it's possible. The update for the imac is shown on the chart as 4.1.9, so i should have it unless i did screw up and download the wrong one.

Apple Firmware chart:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

I'm figuring on updating the current firmware to 4.1.9 and then installing Tiger, but is it ok to do this running osx10.2.8 ? Should i load OS9 before i run a firmware update. It was a long time ago when I did this and I want to be sure that I've got all opinions before it starts gettin messy. I imagine the other possibility also, that if 10.2.8 ran on this firmware then 10.4 should be able to do it too. Maybe i should not even touch the firmware again. I confused... What do you think?

Thanks

84apps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You'll need to boot into OS 9 to run the 4.19 update, from a writeable volume (ie not just from CD). You couldn't have mis-applied the wrong one, 4.17 is just the version that shipped on your iMac. If you attempt to upgrade to Panther or above without the new firmware, you could place yourself in a position where you have no video on the iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yeah i'm familiar with no-screen imacs. I have one of those in the garage keeping my Apple SE and Performa 5200CD company. Anyone need an imac logic board, I have a small collection. (long story)

Are you sure it's ok to boot from the install CD and load system 9.1? I'm just worried that since i updated the firmware before i put 10.2 on it, that 9.1 won't run properly. Or updating the firmware again will somehow have some weird complications.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    BTW, I don't have OS9 or classic environment on the imac, so i'd have to boot from install CD and do a clean install of OS9, right?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    No worries on the firmware update...it only applies if you want to run 9.