AMD Virgin Looking To Score Tonight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
No, this isn't some spam. I am considering upgrading from my pentium 2 - 333mhz (my other laptop's an iBook g4 --- or so says my bumper sticker)

to....

<drum roll>

AMD

because i'm curious and i've never had an AMD before... and i hear they're cheaper, cooler, better, faster (???)

let the debates fly!

anyway just wanted to share, and may post updates as when, IF, it comes into fruition

anyway i'm starting the research part of this project soonish, my paycheck comes in a few weeks...

anyway i'm starting with motherboard and CPU set up research first. and maybe go lurk on hardcore AMDers sites (fill me in on some of those if you check it out)

oh purpose: alternative to the iBook g4 when another family member is using it, pee cee mainly for games perhaps like half-life 2, watching divx, watching dvds, flash mx, photoshop cs, macromedia mx maybe, umm... okay that's about it. nothing fancy, just a gradual upgrade over time since i can't afford to buy an iBook and no sign of any new ones yet...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    boy their website is ugly. i'll try not to get turned off. be gentle with me, yah?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    oh man, i'm not sure if i'm up to it yet. going from apple.com to amd.com is like going from a upmarket urban-modern restaurant to putting your head in a festering garbagecan.

i'll go look at some ATi cards instead on ATi.com \ \
  • Reply 3 of 19
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    The computing experience transition will be rather like the one you describe for the online stores. I know there are financial considerations, but honestly, I think you're nuts.

If you use your machine for productivity in the web design/page layout industry, and you use a mac now, switching to a home-built PC (AMD... intel... who cares?) will be a jarring experience. Jarring because you are losing the OS. OSX is miles ahead of Windows right now.

You can pry my Mac from my cold, dead fingers. Maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    this anandtech article seems useful:

CPU and Chipset quick primer/review

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2418

okay, i think i'll stop posting on my own thread and switch over to my blog...
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by wormboy

The computing experience transition will be rather like the one you describe for the online stores. I know there are financial considerations, but honestly, I think you're nuts.

If you use your machine for productivity in the web design/page layout industry, and you use a mac now, switching to a home-built PC (AMD... intel... who cares?) will be a jarring experience. Jarring because you are losing the OS. OSX is miles ahead of Windows right now.

You can pry my Mac from my cold, dead fingers. Maybe.

dude, you should have seen me freak out yesterday afternoon... i was like, if i can't have the iBook, no one else can!! so i took it to the applecare place to have its modem checked out and 'punish' the rest of the family to live without a Mac for a while wtf...

yeah, i think you have a good point, i'm gonna try balancing out the two. like i said, i will have to do without the iBook in the morning, so the PC is for maybe checking out Flash websites, email (just through .Mac webmail), blogging, forum-ing

edit:

anyway i will still have the iBook in the afternoons and evenings (this sounds like a bloody court order after a custody battle huh)

the pc is mainly to maybe keep in touch with the windoze world and step out of my ivory tower every once in a while. i will need something better than a pentium-2 -333mhz though, i am teaching part time a Flash class at the moment and most sites run okay on the iBook g4 but the pentium-2 struggles with most of today's Flash sites. non-FLash websites with broadband wi-fi and firefox seem to be okay, believe it or not. firefox is awesome, what a saving grace for the PC.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I've built PCs all my entire life and will never trust a company like Apple or Dell to make design decisions for me for my primary computer.

Contrary to what other so-called-experts here say, you can build a PC with stability and performance that no mass production company can match. Been there, done that.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    i agree with skatman...cept for the apple part...any manufactured pc sucks...they may put a top of the line cpu in the box but they put the crapiest ram, cheap mother boards and gpus that bottleneck the cpu....ive never really had anyprobs with my "me" built pc.... biggest advantage of all is overclocking ...cant do that on a dell... but anyways if your looking for a good pc forum that leans amds way goto http://forum.pcstats.com ...they are very biased towards AMD
  • Reply 8 of 19
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris000001

any manufactured pc sucks...

Obviously, you've never seen any Sony PC (and especially their laptops).
  • Reply 9 of 19
    i have a vaio... its running windows server 2003... it hosts my website... it came with sdram durring the ddr hype...it has AGP 4x when it could have had 8x... the vaio laptops are extremely nice... i was talking about the desktop market since it is incredibly hard to build your own laptop... the parts are fairly hard to find....cases are near impossible
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris000001

i agree with skatman...cept for the apple part...any manufactured pc sucks...they may put a top of the line cpu in the box but they put the crapiest ram, cheap mother boards and gpus that bottleneck the cpu....ive never really had anyprobs with my "me" built pc.... biggest advantage of all is overclocking ...cant do that on a dell... but anyways if your looking for a good pc forum that leans amds way goto http://forum.pcstats.com ...they are very biased towards AMD

cool thanks. i would build it up myself. scary world of sourcing, negotiating and putting together the components, getting stuff replaced when it goes faulty, etc. but then again, i can't last more than a few days without my iBook g4 (it's at applecare now), so, well, will probably need to build up an AMD thingy as a backup....
  • Reply 11 of 19
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Sony Prices are off the wall, Even compared to Apple. I had a Vaio once, It sucked.

Best to stay to the custom built market as far as A non-spoonfed OS goes. SO are you gona run Windows or Linux, I asume that redhat would be out of the question as far a priceranges goes.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty

I asume that redhat would be out of the question as far a priceranges goes.

I run Ubuntu Linux, based on Debian, as my primary OS. RedHat is expensive only if you need the support (5+ years). It's meant for Enterprises, hence the name, RedHat Enterprise Linux. It's based on another of their projects, Fedora Core, which is Free as in beer and as in speech.

I myself am thinking of getting an AMD. I need a desktop computer and the Pentium M Sony VAIO that I have here is fine, but not enough for what I need it for.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    i am going to run windoze xp pro on tha amd i am thinking
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i am going to run windoze xp pro on tha amd i am thinking

Why not give Linux a try? There are a lot of distro's that offer GUIs instead of more traditional config files and command-line.

I would suggest SuSE Linux to you - owned by Novell. They just released their 9.3 Professional version today as a DVD image for free. It mimics Mac OS X on many ways, even in some of the icons, and is generally considered to be a newbie-friendly, yet highly-polished distribution.

It won't hurt to try it...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Why not give Linux a try? There are a lot of distro's that offer GUIs instead of more traditional config files and command-line.

I would suggest SuSE Linux to you - owned by Novell. They just released their 9.3 Professional version today as a DVD image for free. It mimics Mac OS X on many ways, even in some of the icons, and is generally considered to be a newbie-friendly, yet highly-polished distribution.

It won't hurt to try it...

cool... suse 9.3 pro for free... just out huh...

the little research i've done on my PCI card ( dlink dwl-g520+ ) driver for linux does not look promising though

hmmm... i''ll check that distro out sometime if i can thanks for info
  • Reply 16 of 19
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Generally Sony is high priced, with poor service these days.

In terms of their desktop lines, they use too many proprietory components such as mobos and PSUs. Cases are also terrible for upgrading and the fans are sleeve bearing (they become loud fast).

If you want a quality built PC, look at smaller shops such as Falcon Northwest.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    datamodeldatamodel Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

flash mx, photoshop cs, macromedia mx maybe

I guess you wouldn't be able to get these for Linux (yet), and if you had to buy them all again for a new platform, well, you'd have enough money for another Mac!

Both my companies have a bunch of PC servers running Linux of various flavours and the whole lot are migrating to Solaris x86 (for stability, familiarity, and features), so you might guess I'm not so hot on Linux right now, but YMMV.

Good luck,

Martin.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    bump! thought i'd update y'all. so i did end up getting the AMD64-venice, 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz overclocked, and as i've mentioned a million times, my baby, nvidia6600GT.

latest news, dualbooting winXP2 (necessary evil) and Suse 9.3 ... this time round installing Suse9.3 (sorry, 32bit only) was a bit faster, got firefox 1.06 up and running, very stable (surprisingly) ndiswrapper for the dlink gwl520+ ... azureus, and i played a bit of Quake2 (very nice graphics with nvClock to force anisotropic and antialiasing) ... ah... Quake2 was fun. Quake3 and Doom3, meh... didn't do it for me....

on winXP2 got mcAffee antivirus and antispyware, macromedia flash, qt7pro, for a bit of tinkering around there. heh... spending quite some time on the Suse side of the hard disk today cybermonkey you should try Suse 9.3, Quake2, nvClock

i gotta figure out how to force priorities so that azureus doesn't "get too scared" when quake2 is running

edit: actually the quake2-azureus multitasking is alright, the OS seems to handle it okay... of course, quake2 is fast. now to try quake3 just to check out the graphics, i suppose.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by datamodel

I guess you wouldn't be able to get these for Linux (yet), and if you had to buy them all again for a new platform, well, you'd have enough money for another Mac!

Both my companies have a bunch of PC servers running Linux of various flavours and the whole lot are migrating to Solaris x86 (for stability, familiarity, and features), so you might guess I'm not so hot on Linux right now, but YMMV.

Good luck,

Martin.

wine shows a lot of promise... photoshop and some macromedia stuff can run via wine quite well... apparently