Inside Apple\'s Intel-based Dev Transition Kit (Photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    ah... fucking old skool memories all flooding back now.

my first computer was an apple 2e,

but since then i cut my teeth on x86 all the way to pentium 3s in 2000. then i switched gradually to hardcore Mac from 2001-2004.

now it seems though back to a bit of the old skool -

bios... building your 'barebones' pc.

turbo button... heh good times... it was best like one of the posters mentioned to turn it to 'off' so that older games ran slower.

i am soo waiting for macintels now.

how awesome ~ get a bit of tiger, dashboard action, get some real web/multimedia/thinking/writing work done, no hassles. then frackin switch over to xPee for some HALF LIFE 2 and COUNTERSTRIKE SOURCE ...!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHH
  • Reply 42 of 68
    How about some pictures of the outside of the case?
  • Reply 43 of 68
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    Why bother? It's just a standard G5 case.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Yes and no. PCI-E is actually a revisited concept of a unified bus concept. Only this time its serial, not parallel.

PCI-E connect everything to the chipset - graphics, audio, ad-in cards, IDE controllers... whatever.

But the only thing it's being used for anywhere is Graphics. No one has made a PCI-E card for anything but the Graphics yet, and it's going on two years old.

I think it's because all the other ports are after the first two would be slower than a PCI-X slot. That last part is just a guess, but the order is something like 16X, 4x, 2x, and 1x.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well not exactly.

Blackmagic Designs makes a PCI-Express video product and LSI Logic and others have PCI-Express SCSI cards. PCI-Express is taking off slowly because we really weren't tapping the full potential of PCI-X as far as bandwidth was required so the advantages of PCI-Express are largely marketing feaures right now.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Broadcom also makes some PCI Express ethernet cards (quad port gigabit hardware and the like).
  • Reply 47 of 68
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

turbo button... heh good times... it was best like one of the posters mentioned to turn it to 'off' so that older games ran slower.

One other thing I remember about 486's and their 'Mac-equivlents' at the time, the 68040 Centris models. The 68040 ran at 25MHz and 33MHz, while the 486's ran usually at 50 and 66. But, IIRC, I read that the 486's were speed-doubled at the clock rate (which would explain how a turbo button could work). The Macs also were doubled, but Apple didn't double the MHz when advertising (so, like, they both were really 25 and 33MHz chips doubled, just the Intel folks used the 'doubled' number and Apple didn't).

The start of the whole MHz thing? I don't know. Of course, I also remember when the Pentium first shipped at 60 and 66MHz, I had trouble getting those MHz PC junkies explaining to me how the 60MHz was faster then the 486/66.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Well you seem to be batting .500 on stupid/sane comments at the moment. You are quite correct; I think the Mac games market, such as it is, will die completely. And frankly who gives a shit? Games have never sold a single Mac.

I assume you count my "who uses FW800 anyway?" post as the dumb one. But who does? If it disappeared, maybe 5% of Mac users would notice. I would bet on USB3 being invented, supporting this speed, getting added to motherboards, and gaining widespread adoption as being more likely than FW800 surviving long-term outside of niche markets.

The bottom line about my comments? A lot more people play Mac games than use FW800.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Ironically, perhaps, for looking to the future of Mac hardware,

Dell's site has the best description of the advantages of PCI Express over PCI-X I've seen

Basically, "it's not just about cards". The motherboard uses PCI-E for its own communications. You can think of it as the difference between a bunch of network hubs attached to a router, to a fully switched network. Even if you don't have any cards in any slots, a PCI-E motherboard is going to be more efficient in power, performance, and, eventually, cost (fewer lines mean simpler designs, once the chipsets come down in price.) PCI-E cards will also tend to be smaller, easier to configure, and, depending on the implementation, even hot-swappable.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I assume you count my "who uses FW800 anyway?" post as the dumb one. But who does? If it disappeared, maybe 5% of Mac users would notice. I would bet on USB3 being invented, supporting this speed, getting added to motherboards, and gaining widespread adoption as being more likely than FW800 surviving long-term outside of niche markets.

The bottom line about my comments? A lot more people play Mac games than use FW800.

I use FW800. FW400 is faster than USB2.0. So, I don't have any high hopes for USB3.0 if such a thing is going to appear anytime soon.

I have 2 external FW800 LaCie drives, and they are really quick. FW800 is a beautiful creature...
  • Reply 51 of 68
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeverFade

I use FW800. FW400 is faster than USB2.0. So, I don't have any high hopes for USB3.0 if such a thing is going to appear anytime soon.

Actually USB 2.0 is technically a schmee faster than FW400. But not by much so they'll seem relatively equal in speed.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    IMHO, Apple is abandoning FW (just as it is catching on in PC-land, too). The latest iPods don't even come with FW cables. This whole transition is about picking their battles. Apple's been fighting on too many fronts. They are giving up all of that and concentrating their efforts where it will have an effect - Mac OS X.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Actually USB 2.0 is technically a schmee faster than FW400. But not by much so they'll seem relatively equal in speed.

Yes. Technically USB 2.0 can run up to 480mbps (Megabites per second) and Firewire 400 can run up to 400mbps. (As it says in the name, its not just some randoom number) but Firewire 800 can transfer at up to 800mbps.

I think Apple will keep FireWire 800 in the pro-computers (PowerMac and PowerBook) for the people how need to backup a ton of data fast but not the consumer computers, FireWire 400 does the job there.

If Apple loses FireWire in their computers they will have too completely recreate iMovie and FinalCut Pro and Express so that they can import video over USB. Not a good idea at all. I believe that all Apple computers will at least 1 firewire 400 port for awhile. FireWire 800, it might go, but I know that a lot of pro users use it. If they do decide to lose it, I think Apple needs to make a cheap PCI Card for the PowerMac and a Cheap PC Card for the PowerBook.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Firewire is not going away anytime soon because it of legacy devices and because it can do things that USB can't do by the nature of its design.

USB is a client/ server based design with all of translation work done through CPU.

Firewire is a network design with all of the translation done by the firewire chip.

When realtime uninterrupted bandwidth is required (such as DV capture), firewire is a vastly better solution because its realtime bandwidth performance is pretty much independent of CPU load.

Firewire 800 has been around for at least 2 years in PC world. It's just that there is not much use for it in desktop market unless you need to daisy-chain a bunch of HDs.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Would someone explain to me why Windows uses this and Macs have not in the past. Advantage of BIOS vs whatever else???

Not me, but maybe Wikipedia (et.al.) can help you find answers, e.g.:

BIOS

Open Firmware
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Ironically, perhaps, for looking to the future of Mac hardware,

Dell's site has the best description of the advantages of PCI Express over PCI-X I've seen

That was informative... thanks.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Not me, but maybe Wikipedia (et.al.) can help you find answers, e.g.:

BIOS

Open Firmware

Don't forget EFI. And, if want to understand what the Macintosh used before Open Firmware, this is a cogent and accurate explanation of the Macintosh Toolbox ROM.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

[B]Yes. Technically USB 2.0 can run up to 480mbps (Megabites per second) and Firewire 400 can run up to 400mbps. (As it says in the name, its not just some randoom number) but Firewire 800 can transfer at up to 800mbps.

In real world testing, this is not accurate. It's been proven that FW400 beats USB 2.0...

But this is neither here nor there, just a statement.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Firewire is not going away anytime soon [...]

I agree.

FireWire Still Burning
  • Reply 60 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Firewire has become necessary for video, and DV. I really hope Apple does not abandon it. But I heard there was new connection being developed somewhere that was far superior. I think it was some kind of serial connection. I can't remember.