New mac - should I reinstall?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I will be picking up my first mac in the near future. Some have said to reinstall Mac OS X, I would feel more comfortable doing this so its a fresh install for my new mac. Do you recommend reinstalling?

When i reinstall i would asume to pick, erase and install. When i install this way does ilife apps get installed also or do you need to install them seperatly with i think the disc included?

Or should i just leave the computer the way it is when i open the box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derek

I will be picking up my first mac in the near future. Some have said to reinstall Mac OS X, I would feel more comfortable doing this so its a fresh install for my new mac. Do you recommend reinstalling?

When i reinstall i would asume to pick, erase and install. When i install this way does ilife apps get installed also or do you need to install them seperatly with i think the disc included?

Or should i just leave the computer the way it is when i open the box.

Assuming your mac comes with tiger installed then you are fine. This is not like an OEM PC where you have tons of exess crap that is just utter junk...the bundled software is a nice crossection of so/ho and entertainment tools, no BS. and if you dont like an app, lets say Quicken, just drag it to the trash

The image included with new macs allows you to pick and choose what to install but reintalling out of the box is insane unless it shipped with panther and has a diger upgrade cd, for that I would definately blow it away and clean install
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Unless you want to repartition your hard drive, there's little reason to reinstall the operating system (OS) and Apple's apps on a brand new Mac. You're still going to have to run Software Update to get the latest updates from Apple anyway. If you have a current Mac, the Migration Assistant that runs at startup on your new Mac will allow you to copy your current applications, network settings, and personal home folder environment over to the new Mac to retain your old user environment.

If you find you're having a problem with your new Mac's software a few days down the line (which I seriously doubt will happen), you can still perform a clean install with the DVD that comes with your new Mac. It will install not only the OS, but all the applications Apple supplies with your new Mac, basically a straight rebuild to the factory configuration. The install will allow you to pick and select (customize) the reinstallation, if you so choose. However, if you find your new Mac is running fine out of the box and you don't want to retain some of the demos and trial software that's been added to your Applications folder, simply drag them into the trash, then hold the mouse down over the Trash and select Empty Trash.

The people who are saying a clean install is best are those who are using a Mac currently and are concerned their current system isn't pristine enough to simply run the update to Tiger on their old Mac. For myself, I regularly perform maintenance (Repair Permissions, Disk Warrior, iDefrag) to keep my volume/file structure sound. Even then, when I upgrade the OS, I only do the Archive and Install option. That keeps all my current applications operational, and my home directory with all my custom settings fully functional. A clean install means you'll have to redo everything manually...reinstall apps, re-customize your user environment, and the like. Why do that if it's not necessary?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    i was wondering about doing this with my new mac, too. mainly to get rid of unwanted languages, drivers, and most importantly: classic.

also, does anyone know how the migration tool works? i want to keep some applications, and maybe a few settings, but other than that i'd like to forget my current environment completely. can i choose to import just what i need, or do i have to drag my whole home folder along?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i want a powerbook

i was wondering about doing this with my new mac, too. mainly to get rid of unwanted languages, drivers, and most importantly: classic.

Classic actually does not install by default, I believe. The icon is there, but I believe you must install it.

I was a pc user too, and felt the same way but its different with a mac. You shouldn't have to reinstall. When you install the Mac OS I do not even think you can choose what drivers and languages it installs... Its not Windows, things are different.

Don't worry about it inless you actually have a certain issue, and even then its not windows lol...you shouldn't have to reinstall.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If you do install, you have the option to select the languages you both want to use for the OS and the additional languages you want installed should you decide you want to change the used language later. During the initial installer windows be sure to select the Customize and Options buttons in the lower left corner of the installer to make your selections. Otherwise, it will install all languages and printer drivers, and consume several hundred megabytes of additional space. If you want to install the X11 environment, you'll have to check its box during this process. Xcode stuff can be installed simply by inserting the DVD in the optical drive and using the windows browser to run it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

... and using the windows browser to run it.

Windows browser? Aren't we a little confused?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

When you install the Mac OS I do not even think you can choose what drivers and languages it installs... Its not Windows, things are different.

Yes you can choose what drivers and languages to install (and then some), and no, Windows doesn't let you choose anything - unless it's one of those Recovery CDs where you can skip certain CDs (they usually come in 3 or more CDs).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    I was using the word windows generically. The funny little boxes that open up when you double click on hard drives are still called windows, and they are used for browsing the contents of the hard drive. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

I was using the word windows generically. The funny little boxes that open up when you double click on hard drives are still called windows, and they are used for browsing the contents of the hard drive. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Oh, I know exactly what you meant. You have gotten entirely too comfortable with Microsoft Windows. Turn away from the Dark Side and adopt Macintosh language.