Mac Mini v. iMac G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I use both Windows and the Linux operating systems and I would first like to say to avoid any flying fists that I am not a Anti-mac person.

I want to purchase a Apple of some sort but I have no experiance with macs and I do not know the speeds of a G4 vs a G5 prosessor.

I need a Mac that will handle the abuse handed to it by My family. We will install Virtual PC on the computer as well.

Nick

PS a shout out to Lt.Commander Meyers for the retirement and the move, Good luck

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Since I'm using a Mac mini right now, I might as well tell you what I know. The mini is inexpensive, especially if you already have a monitor, and is a great computer for what people here would consider light use. It only has one RAM slot, it has a low-end video card that will not support hardware acceleration of some of the video technologies in OS 10.4, and the G4 processor is slower than the G5.

The 256 MB of RAM included with the mini will probably be insufficient for your needs. The talk of running Virtual PC and other "abuse" suggest that you'd want to install at least 512 MB of RAM, if not 1 GB. 256 MB of RAM would be a big performance hit.

The second big hit to performance on the mini is the inclusion of a laptop hard drive. It's generally slow and has the tendency to head park after a short period of inactivity. While this would be desired in a laptop, it causes an annoying latency when the drive is needed again. Given that you imply that you want performance out of the computer, an upgrade to a faster drive, whether internal or external, seems to be in the cards.

Another consideration would be the two USB ports on the Mini. I would recommend getting a USB hub or a Bluetooth module to extend that functionality. Here, we have an Apple USB keyboard, a mouse, a digital camera, two printers, an iPod Shuffle and a USB MIDI keyboard to plug into the Mini. Apple USB keyboards have built-in two-port USB hubs, so the mouse, digital camera and keyboard use one USB port. Everything else, though, currently has to be swapped around. It's not difficult, but it's something you may want to think about.

Even with a RAM upgrade, a new keyboard and mouse, speakers and a good DVI monitor, our mini ended up being a fair bit cheaper than an iMac. But of course, the costs of the mini can add up if you try to turn it into something else. First, think about whether the mini would stand up to the abuse you intend to put it through. Think of everything you'd need to buy with the mini, then compare that with what you'd get with an iMac. Perhaps treat the mini as you would a Vespa. It gets light work done. It's cheap. Despite the allure of having a fun little machine like that, when you get to the point where you're installing five seats, a cargo rack and a canopy over it, you might ask yourself why you didn't just get a car.

So for you, my recommendation would be to get an iMac. It would deliver the performance you'd want out of the box. You wouldn't have to worry about getting a monitor. You wouldn't have to worry about upgrading it right away. You wouldn't have to worry as much about future upgrades, either. It'd be a much simpler buying decision.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My opinion is that the mini would run virtual PC so slowly that you would end up not using virtual PC at all.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

My opinion is that the mini would run virtual PC so slowly that you would end up not using virtual PC at all.

Yes : I bought virtual PC one, and I stop using it. It was darn slow, and I become quickly bored.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Yes : I bought virtual PC one, and I stop using it. It was darn slow, and I become quickly bored.

I actually haven't used Virtual PC, but unless it's required for some reason, you might consider keeping an old PC around instead.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

My iBook G4 1.2 Ghz runs VPC fine. I even run AutoCad 2005 LT on it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hell VPC runs fine on my PowerBook 867mhz. With Win 2000. You just need at least 512 RAM. And don't use XP. use 2000.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    It Looks like I will Probly be ordering a Mac Mini, I live in japan so with freqent travel to the states I perfer a full size keyboard.

I talked to a friend at the Law Office who's wife loves mac but he can't stand it. If it becomes that I can't stand the mac operating system My sis would be more than happy to pry it form my hands