5.1 Sound Cards

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

I'm looking for a sound card (5.1) that'll work on a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics). I've found some on newegg.com but the cheapest one is $75. Where could I find something cheaper but still of a decent quality?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Exp.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I use the USB M-Audio Sonica Theater soundcard. It supports up to 7.1 sound, Core Audio, OpenAL, and works well with VLC, which decodes the Dobly Digital and DTS multichannel audio content on DVD's. I use the USB card because I have a PowerBook. You can use the PCI Revolution 7.1 or Revolution 5.1. These cards have better driver support than the USB Sonica Theater and also support Sensaura, EAX, DirectSound, and A3D. M-Audio sound cards feature excellent Digital to Audio Converters and digital pass-through (either coaxial or optical).

They are a little more expensive than the item you quoted from NewEgg, but they are compatible with your Mac and OS X.

Also Griffin Technologies will soon be shipping the FireWave, a 5.1 FireWire soundcard for Macs that features a built in hardware Dolby Digital decoder.

[edit] I just had a look at the Newegg site and they do indeed list the Revolution 5.1 for $75, so I assume that's the soundcard to which you referred? $75 is a good price
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    go for the M-Audio Revolution 5.1

I've owned the Revolution 7.1 since its inception and its a great card
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

go for the M-Audio Revolution 5.1

I've owned the Revolution 7.1 since its inception and its a great card

I have a 5.1. I'm currently waiting on a 10.4 compatibility update (the 7.1 Update is already released). The current control panel is rather instable in 10.4. Apart from that (i.e as soon as the updated drivers are available), I'm happy (again) with this card.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

I have a 5.1. I'm currently waiting on a 10.4 compatibility update (the 7.1 Update is already released). The current control panel is rather instable in 10.4. Apart from that (i.e as soon as the updated drivers are available), I'm happy (again) with this card.

Same situation here. What's taking them so long!?