New iG5 Your advice please -nwebie

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
HI , I have decided to buy my first Apple Mac iG5 computer,with the 17" monitor,

ive never had an Apple Mac before and would like some honest comments about this model, ive also considerd the Mac Mini, but after seeing the new iG5 I fell in Love with its look's , but as you Guy's know you can't tell a book by just looking at the cover, so can some kind forum members give the low down on this machine, good and the bad ( if any ) your honest comments would be most welcome .

...... Star ( Thailand )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    You'll love it. It's a beautiful, intelligently designed and powerful machine.

I've got the 2Ghz model with superdrive and 1GB of Ram and it works really well.

All the iLife apps are quick, DVD encoding is very fast and iPhoto with 6000 pics is snappy. I use Photoshop with 100Mb+ files no problem and Final cut pro runs well. Everyone who sees it loves it. The only reservation I have is that the built in speakers, while adequate to start with, haven't got the clarity you might want if you listen to music a lot. I got some sound sticks to go with it.

Let us know what you do.. but i'm sure you won't regret buying it.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    starstar Posts: 5member
    Hi Proxy, Thanks for your commments, how much did this model cost in the UK, here in Thailand they seem to be a bit more expensive than most places, .....?

any one else got an i G5 and can comment...?

Thanks ...Star

PS Proxy,which part of good old Blighty are you from ..?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by star

HI , I have decided to buy my first Apple Mac iG5 computer,with the 17" monitor,

ive never had an Apple Mac before and would like some honest comments about this model, ive also considerd the Mac Mini, but after seeing the new iG5 I fell in Love with its look's , but as you Guy's know you can't tell a book by just looking at the cover, so can some kind forum members give the low down on this machine, good and the bad ( if any ) your honest comments would be most welcome .

...... Star ( Thailand )

hi Star i am living in KL Malaysia at the moment and over the weekend i was playing with my cousin's iMac g5 revA 17" 1.8ghz superdrive when i was in Singapore.

it is an awesome machine, particularly the new iMac g5s with 512mb ram, ati radeon 9600, and faster hard drive performance.

few important questions though:

1. where in thailand are you?

2. will you be using the iMac g5 mostly in an air-conditioned room?

• Reply 4 of 20
    HI sunilraman, Thanks for your comments, I live about 25 km from Pattaya in a small fishing village , my house temp is always around 30.oC and humid, do you think this will effect the running of the new machine...? ive got no air con in this house !!!

Thanks ..... Star
  • Reply 5 of 20
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

HI sunilraman, Thanks for your comments, I live about 25 km from Pattaya in a small fishing village , my house temp is always around 30.oC and humid, do you think this will effect the running of the new machine...? ive got no air con in this house !!!

Thanks ..... Star

Hi Star,

Apple states on it's technical specifications page that the operating temp is 10-35ºC and humidity is 5-95% so you should be fine. The iMac has three independently controlled fans and plenty of other over-heating safe-gaurds so you should be fine. If it gets really hot you could just put it into 'Reduced processor' mode which halves the processor and clock speed and makes it run very cool.

The prices in the UK is on the Apple store UK site.. but when I ordered I told them what I wanted and then asked if that was their best price and they gave me 10% off without any hassle. So it's worth shopping around for good prices.

Sounds like a beautiful place you live at.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I have a 20" imac g5 and its great, love it. :o)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks ..... Star

hi star, like proxy said you should be able to run the machine okay, but in all honesty whenever you have it on you need to have some sort of main fan going (which you probably do to keep yourself cool)

the new iMac 17" should be fine, just that i would not leave it on if you don't have a ceiling fan or table fan blowing at or around it... like i said, living in KL now for example, if you are in a room with no aircon, there's usually a big fan going to keep oneself cool. the side benefit of this is that you get some larger air circulation going to keep the iMac cooler too...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Thanks Guy's for the Info, when you order an up grade is it usally done at the factory or at the retail outlet you place the order, here in Thailand if its done at the shop you place the order, I would not be too happy, knowing what goes on here...? ( every thing " could " be a copy so if you asked for a memory up grade , you dont know what has gone inside the machine..? Yes Thailand is a great Place to live but it takes some time to adapt, ive been here 3 years now ,and its still sends my head into a spin some times, if you want answers to any thing Thai related just e.mail me for the low down. Any comments about the extra warranty package...?

Thanks ... Star
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks Guy's for the Info, when you order an up grade is it usally done at the factory or at the retail outlet you place the order, here in Thailand if its done at the shop you place the order, I would not be too happy, knowing what goes on here...? ( every thing " could " be a copy so if you asked for a memory up grade , you dont know what has gone inside the machine..? Yes Thailand is a great Place to live but it takes some time to adapt, ive been here 3 years now ,and its still sends my head into a spin some times, if you want answers to any thing Thai related just e.mail me for the low down. Any comments about the extra warranty package...?

Thanks ... Star

i hear ya brother. although i was born in malaysia, i have been living in singapore, australia, california for the past 15 years. being 'back' in malaysia for 8 months now living with my parents, its bloody trippy i would say.

apple dealers are generally more trustworthy,

in any case in my opinion the iMac g5 17" which comes with 512mb of ram should be enough to start with. you can get the extended warranty about a few months before your 1 year warranty runs out, if you like the machine and imagine yourself keeping it for a nother few years, then you can get an additional 512mb or 1gb ram, and the extra 2 years warranty.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Hi sunilraman , Again thanks for the info , your comment (you can get the extended warranty about a few months before your 1 year warranty runs out,)

I did not know about, sounds OK, do you know any one who has taken out the Extra warranty, ...?

Thanks ..... Star
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

I did not know about, sounds OK, do you know any one who has taken out the Extra warranty, ...?

Thanks ..... Star

when my brother and i bought an iBook g4 933mhz for my dad, we took the full 3-year warranty from the start, because we knew it would be a good full 3 years of decent service...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

...... Star ( Thailand )

my G5 iMac is doing wonders for me im loving it ever sicne i got it and youll too love it as much
  • Reply 13 of 20
    From what I've read, the biggest negative is loud fan noise (although this has probably been fixed in newer models). Overall though, that is one sweet machine.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Dude, you havent used a computer till you have used an iMac.

seriously, they are slick machines, and with the rev.b updates, 'specially the 9600 radeon, i couldnt NOT recommend you buying one.

I dont actually own one, use them for Film and TV at school, but they have 4 iMacG5's, and 6 iMac G4's in an aircondtioned room and you cant here a thing. with the fans that is, you can hear everything else 'cause the fans are making no noise.

Anyways, LCD's on these iMac's are buetiful too.

BUY IT - you wont regret.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Anyways, LCD's on these iMac's are buetiful too.

BUY IT - you wont regret.

i was blown away over the weekend when i saw my cousin's 17" iMac g5 revA screen. fucking amazing shit. fired up serenity trailer, 720p high def, brilliant. just fucking brilliant. for personal home theater 720p HDTV viewing, a 17" and 20" iMac g5 is great... now where's that PowerMacMini g5 iHome edition, hook it up to a 1080p spec'ed 42" plasma or LCD, whoa... brain melting, i will stop rambling now.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

From what I've read, the biggest negative is loud fan noise (although this has probably been fixed in newer models). Overall though, that is one sweet machine.

i never hear the fan in my G5.. the only time i hear the fan is from my G4 powerbook(PB)... but its also an older machine... i just got my iMac at the end of December and i love it and its quiet as a tomb also
  • Reply 17 of 20
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    im running a 17" 1.8GHz iMac. When we bought it they were shipping with 256mb standard.... which is fine for OS 10.3 (what it came with) but with OS 10.4 it is terrible.

It's alright if you're just using Safari... but open a couble of windows at once (especially with flashy banner ads ) and iTunes and it begins to slow down.... and dont even mention LimeWire. That really fucks things up.

But that's just the RAM (ive got another GB in the mail). The computer is beautiful. i cant wait till the extra RAM gets here... having 1.8GHz is mind-bogling (we had a 233MHz iMac before this).

Great computer, but i wish we'd waited for the Rev. B with 2GHz, 512mb RAM and 160GB HD....

-My 2¢
  • Reply 18 of 20
    tsk tsk tsk... all the swearing on this thread makes baby jesus cry
  • Reply 19 of 20
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    There was a problem last year with bad capacitors swelling when they got too hot, requiring warranty replacement of the logic board. If you can afford it, it would be wise to get the AppleCare 3 yr warranty before you forget about it, just as a precaution, especially since you live in a hot area.

The benefit of getting AppleCare early is that you continue to get phone support after the initial warranty period (90 days?). Otherwise, if something goes wrong after this initial period expires, you'll have to haul it in to an Apple Store to have the store's "Genius" help you out (assuming you have access to an Apple Store), vice spending some time on the phone diagnosing an issue. Apple won't talk to you after that initial warranty period without AppleCare. You can call, but their first action will be to get you to purchase the AppleCare to continue the phone help.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

There was a problem last year with bad capacitors swelling when they got too hot, requiring warranty replacement of the logic board. If you can afford it, it would be wise to get the AppleCare 3 yr warranty before you forget about it, just as a precaution, especially since you live in a hot area.

The benefit of getting AppleCare early is that you continue to get phone support after the initial warranty period (90 days?). Otherwise, if something goes wrong after this initial period expires, you'll have to haul it in to an Apple Store to have the store's "Genius" help you out (assuming you have access to an Apple Store), vice spending some time on the phone diagnosing an issue. Apple won't talk to you after that initial warranty period without AppleCare. You can call, but their first action will be to get you to purchase the AppleCare to continue the phone help.

good point. since you're pretty far from Pattaya, let alone Bangkok, phone support for the full 3 years (full 3 year applecare) instead of just 90 days i think will be good, for a newbie like yourself. best way to get some important help when you need it. particularly if for example you cant connect to internet to get forum help