Tiger's Built-in VNC Server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've discovered that Tiger has a built-in VNC Server, and found that it works flawlessly and quickly, much more faster than any other VNC server I've tried.

The only thing is that when I log in from another computer, the server sends both of my monitors as one large image. Naturally this slows things down slightly.

Is there anyway to tell Tiger's VNC Server to not send the second monitor, and only send the main one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    what client app do you use?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

what client app do you use?

Chicken on the VNC.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    alex_kacalex_kac Posts: 58member
    Do you know which VNC viewer I can use on the PC? I've tried RealVNC and it gets an "unknown message type".
  • Reply 4 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This is news to me. I'll give it a try when I get home, to control my Desktop via my old PowerBook when sitting on the couch.

I assume you need to enable "Apple Remote Desktop" in the Sharing Preference Pane to enable VNC, yes?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Doesn't this encroach on the Apple Remote Desktop standalone package? Why isn't this on a featurelist somewhere?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I assume you need to enable "Apple Remote Desktop" in the Sharing Preference Pane to enable VNC, yes?

Yes. In the Sharing pane, choose Apple Remote Desktop, then click on the Access Privileges button. There's a checkbox labeled "VNC viewers may control screen with password" - and enter a password.

If I use a third-party VNC server, I only get the main monitor. With Apple's I get both.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    There must be some way to edit a configuration file or plist somewhere, or perhaps I need Apple Remote Desktop to do it.