idiot asking about memory for ibook - do you have the answers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi folks. Got my first lap top - an 12" ibook with stock 256megs of memory. (did I say I freaking love this thing - how did I live without it).

My computer is used for:

--->lots of images and quicktime movie storage of my daughter- 1st time mom addicted to taking pictures & movies of my daughter

--->some photoshop fun - but nothing fancy

--->running microsoft office/excel

--->web browsing and internet bs

Seems like some apps are running really slow since my iphoto library increased. But I also started using dashboard (for fun) - and that seems to hog a lot of memory. Should I just bag the idea of dashboard and ditch my widget collection?

If I get more memory, will my computer run better? And does iphoto image/movie storage pull from memory?

How much memory - should I max it out? Where can I get the best deal. I already saw how to install it from the apple site.

What the heck should I do to make sure I can store craploads of pictures/movies on my ibook. Should I just store them easier on an external drive and get them off my ibook harddrive.

Please tell me what to do - so I can continue my picture hording.

Much thanks,

idiot mac girl

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Even without running CPU intensive applications 256 is considered minimal under OSX.

Look to putting in a GB or a 512 and you should see a marked improvement.

Also, I find crucial.com is a good place to find out what you need to buy.

Other places are ramseeker, newegg and OWC. Mac's like quality RAM and it is better to pay a little extra for the guarantee.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Damn Omega...you are quick. Thanks. I will add a 512 or more - thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I also added a bit which might help.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    also check

www.dealram.com

I always have bought the cheapest, and never had problems. Usually it's from 1 800 4 MEMORY
  • Reply 5 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Memory increases will improve performance in some areas.

You should see faster response, be able to run more apps at once, and generally lag less.

Quote:

What the heck should I do to make sure I can store craploads of pictures/movies on my ibook. Should I just store them easier on an external drive and get them off my ibook harddrive.

Please tell me what to do - so I can continue my picture hording.

Your 12" iBook probably came with an optical drive which can burn CDs. These are great for backup.

Take a few minutes to read the help documentation on burning CDs from within iPhoto or other iLife apps, and or have a peek at the help system from the Finder itself (now with a new "burn folder" option in Tiger) to learn the quick tricks on how to archive your data to CD.

In the short run, use of CD burning for backup should be all you need for archives.

In the long run, if you do larger video, you might look at an external Firewire HD or DVD burner.

enjoy
  • Reply 6 of 7
    - Thanks!!!!

Your 12" iBook probably came with an optical drive which can burn CDs. These are great for backup.

Take a few minutes to read the help documentation on burning CDs from within iPhoto or other iLife apps, and or have a peek at the help system from the Finder itself (now with a new "burn folder" option in Tiger) to learn the quick tricks on how to archive your data to CD.

In the short run, use of CD burning for backup should be all you need for archives.

In the long run, if you do larger video, you might look at an external Firewire HD or DVD burner.

enjoy [/B][/QUOTE]
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I added a 1 gig stick to my 12" iBook (I love the size).

With 1.25 GB of ram (from www.crucial.com) it runs like a champ!

The more stuff in iPhoto you get the longer it takes to open. My iMac G5 takes 4 - 5 seconds before it makes it but I have a jazillion pictures in it.

I have an external firewire drive I backup on using SuperDuper.