I need application ideas...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok I am getting ready to switch to an Apple Powerbook once the seccond revision Apple Centrino laptops (FYI I am a member of Intel's Chanal program so I get most of their plans for the next two years) are released early next year. Problem is I am an IT guy and have some needs, while wanting to avoid going back to x11 or Win32 applications.

- First I use Ai Roboform PRO fro the hundreds of usernames and passwords I encounter when working on other systems and even my own (security is a big thing when in IT). So I would like a secure, encrypted, and versitile alternitive to the OS X keychain. It would need to store website passwords and also allow me to enter and retrive pure text passwords.

- Being in IT I have to program a lot of CISCO routers and switches. As such I need a telnet application that allows me to get into switches and routers over TCP/IP and a USB to Serial adapter for rollover cable connections. It also needs to be able to record text inputs and send text to host so I can use configuration texts to help automate the deployment process.

- I do a lot of Research for both College and my companies I work for. As such I need a program that acts as a kind of scrap book of products, papers, and concepts I may wish to look into. The equivilent program on Windows is NetSnippits. It needs to store pictures, text, and remember the source website for everything I grab.

- Also I was wondering if there was a fully featured FTP client in GUI form for OS X. It would need full standards support. Like a FlashFXP for OS X.

- Is there a native TFTP server for OS X?

- I require a program that is a VNC viewer. Also I need an application that can connect to Remote Desktop Sessions for XP computers when it comes to tech support. Any ideas?

- Lastly I need a good fully featured plain and hex editor. It would be like an UltraEdit for OS X.

P.S.

Is Inspiration and Notetaker worth the money? I have heard some good things about them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwestpha

- Also I was wondering if there was a fully featured FTP client in GUI form for OS X. It would need full standards support. Like a FlashFXP for OS X.

- Is there a native TFTP server for OS X?

- I require a program that is a VNC viewer. Also I need an application that can connect to Remote Desktop Sessions for XP computers when it comes to tech support. Any ideas?

Versiontracker is your friend. You can use it to find many products which could suit your needs.

There are many FTP programs for Mac. Some are free, some are not, and some are more capable than others. For a free client, I suggest Cyberduck. For a "for-pay" app, many people suggest Transmit (although I'm not partial to it) and Rbrowser seems quite good.

Likewise, there are also many VNC clients. "Chicken of the VNC" is the one I use.

Microsoft has a Mac app to connect to WindowsXP computer with Remote Desktop. You can find it here.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Keychain Access application provided by Apple (in Utilities folder) works quite well for storing all sorts of passwords. You can also store secure notes in your keychain so any text password you want. For example, I store the combinations to all my combination locks there so I have them when I forget them. You can also view any password you stored in the system (have to provide your account password to unlock your keychain first).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Another good site is:

http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/

11,000+ OS X apps on an ad free site - it seems to be the guys enjoyment of the task that keeps him going.

Like VersionTracker Jeff lists everything he can find from freeware to commercial apps. Be prepared to spend a lot of time looking at various apps. I generally hold my reviewing down to an hour at a time, but I pass up the technical stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cwestphacwestpha Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Versiontracker is your friend. You can use it to find many products which could suit your needs.

Versontracker is great, but it doesnt give me lots of users experinces and recomendations. Besides not all software is listed there and there might be a better program.

Quote:

There are many FTP programs for Mac. Some are free, some are not, and some are more capable than others. For a free client, I suggest Cyberduck. For a "for-pay" app, many people suggest Transmit (although I'm not partial to it) and Rbrowser seems quite good.

An hour or so after I posted I added Transmit 3 to my list, through I will check out Cyberduck.

Quote:

Likewise, there are also many VNC clients. "Chicken of the VNC" is the one I use.

hmm, I see a paturn of birds unfolding. ;p

Quote:

Keychain Access application provided by Apple (in Utilities folder) works quite well for storing all sorts of passwords. You can also store secure notes in your keychain so any text password you want. For example, I store the combinations to all my combination locks there so I have them when I forget them. You can also view any password you stored in the system (have to provide your account password to unlock your keychain first).

Unfortunetly I would like to avoid Keychain. I need something a bit more portable and flexible then Keychain with a better GUI. It would work, but isnt ideal.

Here is my current list of applications I am looking at:

iWork 05'

ilife 05'

Virtual PC 7.1 (or whatever MS does with Intel macs)

Fire IM

Flac

NeoOffice (granted I NEED a 2.0 beta of OOo. Most of my documents now are in open office format)

VLC

Mplayer

Toast 6 Titanium

Inspiration (possible)

NoteTaker

aMule

Azureus (need something to download systm)

Camio

Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac

AquaEthereal

Colloquy (its soo cool)

to try:

Transmit 3

Chicken of the VNC (does this support encrypted RealVNC sessions?)

MacTelnet (I am starting to wonder if there is a good telnet app for OS X... that doesnt cost hundreds of dollars)

Still need to find:

Password Manager (though I have some ideas)

A Telnet application (Anyone have experince with MacTelnet that I can ask a few questions about?)

NetSnippits replacement (found a widget, but it wont do the job)

A pain text and hex editor (it would take me weeks to try out each and every programing or plain text tool)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwestpha

Versontracker is great, but it doesnt give me lots of users experinces and recomendations.

Versiontracker has a user comments section for each item further down the page. Whether or not they are there depends if people have written anything about that particular program.

For IM, try Adium (Just a suggestion.)

Not sure about your "Chicken of the VNC" question. Perhaps the developer's website will yield some answers.

Here are two Hex Editors that I found: HexEditor & HexEdit

You could also check out BareBones Software which has two text editing programs, BBedit and Text Wrangler.

OS X has a similar "snippets" type feature built in called drag and drop (most apps will take advantage of it). For example, I can select some text from this web page, click on the selection, wait a split second, and then drag it to the desktop where it becomes a clipping file. Images can also be dragged onto the desktop in a similar fashion as well as URLS, email addresses etc. The only thing is it doesn't save WHERE it came from.

Re: Keychain... have you used it in Tiger? The new version has a vastly superior GUI and the ability to import and export information now.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cwestphacwestpha Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Versiontracker has a user comments section for each item further down the page. Whether or not they are there depends if people have written anything about that particular program.

My point exactly. Most of them arent reviews they are more like few sentance testemonials. "this product is great" "I use it every day" and it goes on. It doesnt help me when comparing two products to one another with which has better implemented features, UI, etc.

Quote:

For IM, try Adium (Just a suggestion.)

Saw that product before. Added that to my list of things to try. However I feel like, having seen the help forums, I may want to wait till they get to a 1.0 release state before going fully over to Adium X.

Quote:

Not sure about your "Chicken of the VNC" question. Perhaps the developer's website will yield some answers.

Thanks, I feel a bit stupid not just doing that when I was on the site yesterday, but I found my answer. VNC 4.0 compatability is not implemented yet, nor is enterprise encryption. May have to use the Linux verson of RealVNC through X11. -.-

Quote:

Here are two Hex Editors that I found: HexEditor & HexEdit

BBedit looks like my best bet... but its about 200 bucks. I dont know how they stay in buisness charging that much. Students and most developers sure cant afford that on a simple (abit vary functional) editor.

Quote:

OS X has a similar "snippets" type feature built in called drag and drop (most apps will take advantage of it). For example, I can select some text from this web page, click on the selection, wait a split second, and then drag it to the desktop where it becomes a clipping file. Images can also be dragged onto the desktop in a similar fashion as well as URLS, email addresses etc. The only thing is it doesn't save WHERE it came from.

Yah thats the problem, I need source information. When I do project planing or a product comparison I have to collect information and cite sources to make it so Management actualy does what I sugest (and not just make a compeeting department analyze the plan to sabatoge it). You would think they would have learned from my sugestion of using Pocket PCs to be point of sales devices for feild sales people (something that is now saving us a few grand a month).

Quote:

Re: Keychain... have you used it in Tiger? The new version has a vastly superior GUI and the ability to import and export information now.

I have done some playing around with keychain but I have problems backing it up and making it behave all of the time. Sometimes it tries to fill in feilds it shouldnt, other times it cant find feilds that are clearly marked in the HTML, other times I think it is just trying to spite me.

Yah I try all of this stuff using 10.4.1 on a G3 (G4 when my emulated Altivac works).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Nevermind.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Um, isn't the console telnet enough? Every OS comes with a console telnet program. Windows does, OS X does, Linux does, etc...