Your Psychology

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Just curious about how everyone views themselves in terms of how they developed to be who they are.

The argument used to be Nature vs. Nurture (i.e. one or the other), but now it's recognized to be more of a bidirectional thing, Nature and Nurture.

What had the greatest influence in making you who you are? (Aside from long nights glaring into a computer screen?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Sorry. Wrote a deep post that in the end I realized had nothing to do with the topic. So here's a go at staying on-topic:

You are what you eat.

--B

BTW, New Umberto Eco book about memory and identity.

• Reply 3 of 12
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Pepperoni or Tofu?

Maybe the thread's too loose, but I'm seriously interested. I work with kids and hear lots of wild things. Curious what a bunch of techy-types have to say.

By the way, I'm pepperoni.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    But didn't you hear that psychology is a bunch of Hype? At least Tom sez so.

Psychology in its modern form takes for granted that we are all individual selves, permanent souls, and doesn't take into consideration the fact that we are just a blur of 5 elements which are in constant motion:

1. Material form.

2. Feelings.

3. Perceptions.

4. Mental formations.

5. Consciousness.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I guess that's why I'm asking...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

Just curious about how everyone views themselves in terms of how they developed to be who they are.

The argument used to be Nature vs. Nurture (i.e. one or the other), but now it's recognized to be more of a bidirectional thing, Nature and Nurture.

What had the greatest influence in making you who you are? (Aside from long nights glaring into a computer screen?)

Such a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE question.

How can you answer to this question ?

You are the result of an interaction between nature and nurture, such interactions are very complex, and may vary from people to another.

It must be foolish, to consider that people have an accurate opinion about how they view themselves. You canno't acess, to the deepest layers of your personalities directly, just guess what they are, and canno't even guess why they are here. Well psychanalysis, try to guess why they are here, and to be aware of it, but it's an another debate.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It's only a huge question if you try to find one "answer.' The point is, there is no answer. I'm just curious about peoples' subjective experiences.

Maybe I shouldn't have led in with the nature nurture thing-- I'm looking more for in your life, what shaped you most?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    interesting how i studied this in pyschology last year... nature vs nutrue was one... and this idea of bidirection of nature and nurture is also true...

the way i see my personality isthe bidirectional idea.... nurture in the childhood yrs say... from 0yrs old - say maybe teen years... then at 12 or 13 start feeling some indipendance and gaining experience/knowledge/personality traits through nature... but that lerking of nurture still remains as mother always watches... then by 15... nurture is kept out and personality is formed starting from age 14/15 and older are by nature...

at present age 18.. i feel that nurture had left me at about 13 or 14 w/ it still lerking from a paranoid mother and whole family... and nature was entered.. and then ever since.. what ive learned through nature and the enviroment around me, i made part of my personality for the better if that makes any sense...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I subscribe to the current view of biologists: it's half nature (genes) and half environment. Parenting is a very small part of the environment, peers matter more. (Parents can't have much positive influence; however poor/negative parenting can hinder the kid.) In my case, I guess things like books were also a large influence, as a kid there were long periods when there were no other kids around who I could communicate with.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    There's a lot of research on how birth order affects personality. Frank Sulloway, author of Born To Rebel: Birth Order, Family Dynamics, and Creative Lives believes that history can be better described not as class wars, etc. but as a bunch of 1st children, only children and middle children running around with their corresponding pathologies.

--B
  • Reply 11 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    i'd say it's less than 5% genes and 95% evironment...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I was effected by neither nature, nurture, nor anything else. I am who I am through sheer force of will. Thank you.