new powerbook will not connect to wireless network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My mom recently brought home a new 17" powerbook from her work, the laptop is amazing except for the fact that I can't get it to connect to my home network. Currently there is one pc directly connected the network via Ethernet, another pc connected wirelessly, my powerbook connected wirelessly, and before my moms new computer her ibook was connected wirelessly.

The network runs on a microsoft wireless G base station and has a WEB 128 encrypted password. I have never had problems connecting computers to the network before but can't get the new powerbook to connect. Her pb connects fine at her work but not at home. The pb finds the network but will not connect to the web. The airport always has a yellow circle next to it in the network prefs.instead of green, and when I tried connecting directly with an Ethernet wire it still didn't work.

The computer has an administrative password on it so I am unable to use the setup utility and everything in the network information is locked. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

My mom recently brought home a new 17" powerbook from her work, the laptop is amazing except for the fact that I can't get it to connect to my home network. Currently there is one pc directly connected the network via Ethernet, another pc connected wirelessly, my powerbook connected wirelessly, and before my moms new computer her ibook was connected wirelessly.

The network runs on a microsoft wireless G base station and has a WEB 128 encrypted password. I have never had problems connecting computers to the network before but can't get the new powerbook to connect. Her pb connects fine at her work but not at home. The pb finds the network but will not connect to the web. The airport always has a yellow circle next to it in the network prefs.instead of green, and when I tried connecting directly with an Ethernet wire it still didn't work.

The computer has an administrative password on it so I am unable to use the setup utility and everything in the network information is locked. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Matt

no matter what your airport icon says, click it and then click "other." select the type of encryption, etc...

for some reason, i've had several experiences where i can connect to a network just fine, but going in through that way correctly enters everything. i hope the same works for you.