Moving podcasts to the Podcast section?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there anyway I can move my episodes of This Week In Tech to the podcast section in iTunes? iTunes has them on there to download, but only has the mp3 versions and not the AAC bookmarkable versions.

This is a mistake for Apple if you can't as I'm sure many people have lots of podcasts already in iTunes. I quite like grouping them differently to my music, I see this as a test for video content - a video section like Podcast in the source.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Have you tried drag n' drop? I heard it works.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Have you tried drag n' drop? I heard it works.

Yeah, that was my first instinct too. No joy though.

I'm guessing if you can't drag and drop, you can't do it, as that's how you manage everything else in iTunes like that. Which means Apple is forcing you to use iTunes to download podcasts and have them appear in the Podcast menu... Bad form.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    You can drag -n- drop out of the Podcast area, but you cannot drag anything into it, unfortunately. I tried that last night, because I wanted to take the podcasts that I have on my iPod already and put them into the Podcasts area.

Oh well... there is another issue that I have seen that I would like to see updated on the new iPod software. I would like to see an "All" option under the Podcasts section so that I can choose it, hit play on the first one and just let it play all of my podcasts one after the other no matter what playlist they are part of.

It makes driving on the road for three or four hours a little easier when you do not have to worry about manually moving to the next playlist in the Podcasts section when the last one has finished.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    It can be finicky but I've dragged/dropped about 10 of my favorite podcasts in there, no problem.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielandrews

It can be finicky but I've dragged/dropped about 10 of my favorite podcasts in there, no problem.

I will have to try it again tonight when I get home. I was a bit tired last night.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

I will have to try it again tonight when I get home. I was a bit tired last night.

check your podcast settings. if you have it set to only keep unplayed podcasts or something like that, perhaps yours don't fit the criteria.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

check your podcast settings. if you have it set to only keep unplayed podcasts or something like that, perhaps yours don't fit the criteria.

I believe I have it set to whatever the default was when it was installed. I remember looking at the options, but I don't remember changing them. I believe it is set to keep all podcasts.

I only tried dragging one into the Podcasts area. I will try a few different ones. It could be something like what you mentioned.

Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Hm. I even tried dragging a podcast straight into the proper "Podcasts" folder ("Science Friday") in my Library. No dice.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I wish I could get rid of the podcast menu on my iPod now because I like to use bittorrent to get the bookmarkable AAC's for tWiT. iTunes is cool, but I prefer my old file system.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I tried dragging the actually TWiT files into the main Podcast list, but this didn't actually work even though the Podcast window highlighted up like when you drag stuff through finder...

This really is awful. I love the idea of my podcsats being separated into their own area, but what is the point if half are there and half are in my Library?? iTunes 4.9.1 please!

PS. Where is the feedback page? I found this, but it seems to be for song requests. I'll post this there too though.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

This really is awful. I love the idea of my podcsats being separated into their own area, but what is the point if half are there and half are in my Library?? iTunes 4.9.1 please!

I am with you on that. I ended up redownloading everything that I could from iTunes and I had to listen to about 3 podcasts that I could not download again.

Now if I just had the option to listen to all of the audio files in the Podcast section no matter which playlist they are in.