Upgrading to Tiger Problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well I have finally got around to buying Tiger. I was all excited and inserted my disc into my 12" PowerBook G4.

Was told to restart, which i did. no problems so far. Choose my language, then hit a wall.

I was told that my computer can not use Tiger! I am now very surprised as my PB is less then 1 year old!

So i head on line to see if I can figure it out. Find out the apple trouble shooting page what the problem is:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106693

Basically it seems that i need to update my Firmware ( whatever that is ), so i am thinking far enough. So i go ahead and download the approriate updates. Problem solved??

NO.

In order to run the Firmware updater I must use Mac OS 9 or later but my PB only allows me to run Mac OS X. ( checked on startup disk)

So i am at a total lose! Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't see a firmware update for a 12-inch PowerBook.

Something else must be wrong.

I'm going to copy (not move) this to Genius Bar, as I don't have a PowerBook and someone there may be able to help - JL
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I would just try it again. If that fails, run a permissions repair under disk utility and try again. If that fails:

I would back up the system and try a clean install.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I would just try it again. If that fails, run a permissions repair under disk utility and try again. If that fails:

I would back up the system and try a clean install.

I would go one step further if permission repair fails, do a disk repair, here is how from the apple support site:
    Quote:

Everything on my Mac is behaving oddly

If Mac OS X is exhibiting unexpected behavior, and applications and files aren't working the way they're supposed to either, use Disk Utility to repair your disk.

1. Insert the Software Install disc that came with your computer into the disc drive.

2. Restart your computer and immediately press and hold the C key to start up from the disc.

3. When you see the Installer screen, choose Open Disk Utility from the Installer menu.

4. Select your hard disk volume in the left pane.

5. Click the First Aid tab, then click Repair Disk.

6. After Disk Utility finishes repairing the disk, restart your computer and test it.

link

Also, I say back up before you even put the new OS in the drive, ALWAYS back up AND TEST IT before making a major system change, that is computing 101
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Since you'll be moving up to Tiger, use the Archive & Install option to preserve your old user settings. Unless your old system/directory structure is pristine, running the Upgrade option will likely be problematic. At the very least, you should Repair Permissions with Disk Utility.

The error you're getting is odd. I upgraded a two year old 12" PBG4 (867MHz) to Tiger from Panther with NO issues. I second the recommendation to run Disk Utility from the Installer CD and select Repair Disk, then trying again.

After you've successfully moved to Tiger and tested all your apps, trash the old System in the Previous Systems folder to reclaim the hard disk space. Also, don't forget to use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kevmcginley

In order to run the Firmware updater I must use Mac OS 9 or later but my PB only allows me to run Mac OS X.

"OS 9 or later" means OS X will work as well. just fyi.