DVI Distribtors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This summer I am planning to upgrade my setup for some upcoming web development tasks.

My first priority is screen real estate. I currently have a 15" Powerbook 1.5. Since it has only 1 DVI-port, I am only limited to 1 external screen. Then, I stumbled across a DVI- distributor box. Will this take my signal and split it to two 17" or 19" monitors (NOT mirror it)? The documentation that I found was rather vague.

Does anyone have any info about these types of devices?

Thanks

-Andy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    awalawal Posts: 66member
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mirror only.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    this device mirrors the image and aplifies it so you can send it to a projector or or other dvi device much further away from the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'd never heard of such a device but it's perfectly plausible. Take the first half of each digital scan line and send it to one monitor and the second half to another. This would be best with a custom resolution of twice the typical width.

I suspect that such devices would be relatively expensive since most graphics chip sets already support multiple monitors. Need for such a device would be relatively low. Perhaps things like jumbo-trons, would use such hardware for gargantuan displays comprised of a grid of smaller displays.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    Thanks for the insight!