Download Accelerators ... Got Recommendations?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was using iGetter with OS X 10.2.8 but now Speed Download is an option too. Are there others as well? Thanks in advance. . A q u a M a c .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I'm a solid iGetter user, but I'm on a modem (no broadband available here), so I use it for bandwidth management and download time-shifting. I tried Speed Download but found it's interface more busy than iGetter's although it seemed to work as well. Nothing beats iGetter's GUI IMO. I also don't like how SpeedDownload is updated every freakin' week, geesh, just it right the first time. It's like the developers issue a new release and then spend weeks fixing bugs one at a time, putting out over ten updates in a short time. That's just poor development planning.

Errr....so I guess that's not much help, but maybe it can help someone else.

Also, I don't understand why Apple doesn't include a download manager with OS X? I can see why they don't mess with download accelerators, but a nice, simple manager that let the user throttle back download speeds so he could surf while downloading, and also managed downloads would be a nice addition to Safari. Apple could even buy iGetter if they were too lazy to write the (simple) code. It's another one of Apple's apps that they seem content enough to leave 85% done.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I also don't like how SpeedDownload is updated every freakin' week, geesh, just it right the first time. It's like the developers issue a new release and then spend weeks fixing bugs one at a time, putting out over ten updates in a short time. That's just poor development planning.

I think it also a lot to do with it being a favourite of the pirates. New release = [k] blocked.

I own (as in bought) SD and I find it to be OK, though I am not a big downloaded or files (56k'er).

• Reply 3 of 3
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Thanks, I appreciate the feed back. I was looking a SD and iGetter. I'm getting iGetter. I agree about Safari not having better download managment. Thanks again.