in macOS edited January 2014
what are the PC's Settings? he is using windows xp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

what are the PC's Settings? he is using windows xp

for eaiest setup You need to be on the same subnet (e.g. behind the same gateway router/soho router) and he neds to turn on file and print sharing ant share the folders he wants shared.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Once the PC is properly sharing on the network, the PC should be visible by selecting Network in the left pane of any window, then My Network in the first column in the right pane. The Mac will scan the network, so wait a bit while it does that, then click on the device, and a Connect button will appear in the next column to the right for you to log in.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I sometimes can't find the PC in the Network panel. I open Terminal and type findsmb. This returns a list of IP addresses on the network.

Also, if you know the name of the computer and the folder that is shared you can select Go/Connect to server from the finder. Enter the following:

smb://(computer name)/(folder name)

smb://(ip address)/(folder name) also works.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Yes, it's nice to have the text connection option, but I can never remember the exact syntax. It's so unixy...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    turn on windows sharing on the mac, then read what it says at the bottom of that pref window. on the windows machine, go to 'add a new network place' and type in what you see on the mac. enter a username and password, and there you go. at least, that's one way to do it.