dSLR + Old Film Nikkor Lens

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know this isnt Apple Hardware -- But I thought someone here would know:

I have a lot of expensive nikkor/(nikon) lenses for my Nikon F. The problem is film is expensive, so I would like to (if possible) get a digital SLR that is compatible with these lenses. Are most of the nikkor f series lenses compatible with any dSLRS. Is the Canon Digital Rebel XT compatible with any of the lenses?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    You might want to ask on the dpreview.com forums...

There are lens adapters available for Canon, but I am not sure which Nikon lenses it will allow you to use.

It's possible the Nikon DSLRs will work with your lenses as well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Nikon DLSRs will work with old Nikon lenses AFAIK, but since the sensors are smaller than 35mm format, there is a "crop" factor. For example, your 35 mm lens will capture images that look like they're from a 42-44mm lens, more or less because the sensor inside the DLSR is smaller than standard film.

Definitely check dpreview.com and dpresource.com to check on the compatibility issues though.

follow up: Looks like even the Nikon D50 has an F mount for the lenses, so the answer is probably affirmative for the Nikons anyway. See this page for lens comptibility info.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mslifkinmslifkin Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I know this isnt Apple Hardware -- But I thought someone here would know:

I have a lot of expensive nikkor/(nikon) lenses for my Nikon F. The problem is film is expensive, so I would like to (if possible) get a digital SLR that is compatible with these lenses. Are most of the nikkor f series lenses compatible with any dSLRS. Is the Canon Digital Rebel XT compatible with any of the lenses?

Hi,

You could use them, they should mount. The only problem is you'd have to manually meter the exposure (I'm talking handheld light meter here) as the camera's autoexposure mode wouldn't work. The other "gotcha" with DSLRs is a 1.5 times "fudge factor". Since the sensor in a DSLR is so much smaller than the size of a 35 mm negative, you have to multiply the focal length of your lens by 1.5. So a 50mm lens on a Nikon F becomes a 75mm lens on a D100. I've got a D100 and absolutely love it. I use it with a 24-120mm zoom lens (Vibration Reduction) and it's been working just fine. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    They should work just fine in Manual (M) and Aperture priority (A) mode. You'll loose all 3D Matrix metering, and it will fall back onto centre weighted average or spot metering.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    AF AF-S, Type D and G are fully supported on the D70, D100, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, etc. As long as they are F Mount lenses they should work. Advantage to the 1.5x crop factor - is a 200mm becomes 300mm, 35mm, 50mm and so forth. What exact lenses do you have and what Nikon film body do you have? is it full manual or auto focus?