Jamming a Rad9650 into a G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My friend just invited me to see his new computer. It's a Dual 2.3 G5. He installed a new video card himself and gave me the Radeon 9650 that was in it. I doubt it's possible but you understand that I must ask...

Is there any way to put a Radeon 9650 into a Quicksilver G4? I tried just plugging it in but it won't power up with the 9650. My G4 seems to have an extra little connector just behind the standard AGP slot. I have a feeling that has something to do with it.

I'll be gone for a week so pleae don't think me rude for not responding.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Your best bet would be to contact the guys over at xlr8yourmac.com. Members of the forum there have done such things with the G5 Radeon 9600 so it should be possible with your 9650.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I am curious about that too. The OEM G5 9600 Pros can be easily modified for use in a G4 Powermac. Link here:

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.p...t&id=71&page=1

But the big question is, "Will the same mod work for the 9650?"

Physically, the same mods are possible. The mods are actually easier on the 9650 card since it does not use ADC ports.

But that's no guarantee that it will work. Maybe there may be other unknown issues (e.g. no 4x AGP support etc.)

I've been waiting for someone to try it. If you do, can you make sure to post the results here. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    It appears that this is possible because the R9600 uses the standard AGP 3.0 interface, rather than the AGPpro. The 9600 has always been able to get its power from the AGP slot, but cards like the 9800 and up require more voltage, so they NEED to use the AGP pro interface.The R9650 is basically a 9600 with more VRAM, so it looks like you might have some luck.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Assuming that the card will work in a G4, will it still support the 30" ACD or does that require AGP 8x?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Assuming that the card will work in a G4, will it still support the 30" ACD or does that require AGP 8x?

Shouldn't make a difference, it should still support a 30" ACD.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Is there any way to put a Radeon 9650 into a Quicksilver G4?

The Radeon 9650 uses the RV351 GPU which is just a die shrink of the RV350 from the Radeon 9600 Pro. There should be no difficulties to run that card in an AGP 4x slot.

BeigeUser already posted the link with the instructions you need.

Could you please take a look at the RAM.

Is it really rated GC2A ?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    A piece of tape on pin 3 and pin 11 and I've got a Radeon 9650 running in my Quicksilver PowerMac! Thanks for the link!