Purchasing advice...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am without laptop currently and it's killing me.

I have an iMac G5 and a mac mini I'd be willing to sell to put a nice payment down on a powerbook.

What I'm thinking about doing is selling both on eBay and taking that money + some cash and putting it towards the powerbook.

How much do you guys expect I'd get out of both machines and where should I buy the powerbook from? I have no problem buying apple's refurbs. I'd like the 15 or 17" powerbook with airport and 1GB of ram. None of the other specs really matter and as long as it's a Aluminum powerbook.

The specs of the iMac are as follows:

1.8 G5

1GB ram

160 GB HD

Airport

Bluetooth

Superdrive

The mini is:

1.25 G4

40GB

512MB ram

What do you guys think I should do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    ...OK - if it really will kill you not having a PowerBook, then you are in serious trouble, and you got to solve it rather quickly! Well, the price you will get on ebaY you have to check there yourself, but if I were in your sneakers I would wait (& keep) your gear and save for a year - in 2006 you go and buy yourself THE PowerBook. You dont want to hear this, because you want it NOW, but listen to my advice and you will be happy next year. Think about it: 2006 - you´ll have

1 iMac

1 MacMini

1 BRAND NEW PowerBook (or what it will be named)

OR

1 (old) PowerBook
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I wouldn't make any hardware purchase until the Intel Macs become available.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I wouldn't make any hardware purchase until the Intel Macs become available.

Nah man, If you want a good price you should wait to the second before the newchips, Right now Apple has to get rid of the old chips or suffer the losses. I belive This is why Apple only sells dual G5 powermacs at the moment...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i would sell the Mac mini and iMac g5 as soon as possible and get the 15" powerbook.

otherwise i would hold out until early next year

otherwise i would figure out what's making me so antsy about getting a laptop. believe me brotha/sista(?) i need a laptop for myself too, but doesn't feel right at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ...do you "need" (desire) a laptop, or do you really need a laptop - thats the question. If you must have a laptop because of work, its nothing to ask about - just go and buy it right away. If its mostly for desire, you should wait - you KNOW now what comes next year. Be patient
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marius

...do you "need" (desire) a laptop, or do you really need a laptop - thats the question. If you must have a laptop because of work, its nothing to ask about - just go and buy it right away. If its mostly for desire, you should wait - you KNOW now what comes next year. Be patient

*sigh* good advice when it comes to buying and desiring macs.

seeing to value that is returned in terms of income

damn... i'm growing old
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

*sigh* good advice when it comes to buying and desiring macs.

seeing to value that is returned in terms of income

damn... i'm growing old

...yeah, growing old and wise...