Surge Protector Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The problem: Every so often my plugged-in Powerbook power cord (65W) will stop feeding my machine. The light will go off, and even though it's plugged into the wall, my machine will run down its battery and sleep.

Apple's Explanation: "This symptom occurs because the AC adapter's over voltage protection feature senses ground noise and turns off the adapter. It may not happen if the power adapter is plugged into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)."

The only solution I've found: unplugging the cord from the wall and plugging it back in. Just like that. Doing the same, but unplugging from the computer end has no effect. It has to be from the wall.

My Machine: I've got a 1.67 15" PB. I use the normal cord with a small adapter for use in the round 220V sockets thet have here.

Also of note: my old apartment has no ground line, although as far as I know in the last 3 years we've had no problems with surges.

¿? How can I avoid this? Would an external surge protector shut down in the same way?

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hmmm, I've had this happen a couple of times myself. I found that I had to disconnect the cord that plugs into the powerbook from the power supply to get it working.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You can create your own ground by attaching the third wire to a kitchen sink or water pipe. Typically people do that if their building has no ground.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

You can create your own ground by attaching the third wire to a kitchen sink or water pipe. Typically people do that if their building has no ground.

That's what I've got on the kitchen appliances. Problem is, I only have my PB in the kitchen when I'm eating .

Anyone have any experience with additional surge protectors?

--B