Jump to save the world...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
...or so they say. The organizers of World Jump Day think that if 600 million of us jump simultaneously it will somehow alter Earth's orbit and kill global warming. Sounds ambitious, but takes nothing more than a simple jump and depending on where you live, getting up early. Can't hurt to try.

http://www.worldjumpday.org/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    You've got to be kidding me...

I guess these people weren't paying attention in physics class when our friend Newton's Laws were being discussed.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Jump to kill global warming :???

Best way to kill global warming is to cut greenhouse gases, a lot of which are produced by livestock in the form of methane.

I would suggest this...

...or a fart tax on large herds
  • Reply 3 of 10
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    WTF? Even if everyone jumped, well it'd never work.

Plus, They are suggesting everyone jump at the same time, so half of the world would counteract any forces made on the other...

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on the Internet.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

WTF? Even if everyone jumped, well it'd never work.

Plus, They are suggesting everyone jump at the same time, so half of the world would counteract any forces made on the other...

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on the Internet.

The funny (pathetic?) thing is that some people actually believe this will work... wow, if solutions to difficult problems were just this simple.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    What about earthquakes? If we jump all at the same time, the resulting ripple will destroy whole continents (or at least some old wooden barns).

The Tsunami hat a very very tiny little influence on the earth orbit. And it was of magnitude 9.something.

So hold on at the jump time, we'll have an earth quake of magnitude 13.94, at least
  • Reply 6 of 10
    scientists have also thought of nuclear explosions...to jolt the earth into a different orbit...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Small detail: Jump Day was June 20, 2006. That was a year ago...

http://www.worldjumpday.org/
  • Reply 9 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I think everyone should do something to save the world,

not just saying...