1.25 or 1.5ghz

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there a big difference in the processor speeds? Is it really noticeable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    In my experience that's probably right on the borderline. If you really paid attention, like sitting down with one of each and doing some compute-intensive tasks, you'd probably notice. But in everyday use, no. Of course, faster is always better.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    "Big" difference? No. Noticable? Probably a little.

A general rule of thumb is anything under a 10% clock speed difference is not noticable. This difference is 17%, so there should be should be something noticable at times. But definitely not big by any means.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    What they said. Depending on where you're buying the upgrade CPU, the extra cost of the 1.5 GHz means that you're spending over a hundred dollars on a subtle difference. Some people need and use that extra little boost in speed, most do not.

Think of the 1.5 GHz G4 as buying a CPU that goes to "11". The difference is mostly psychological, but a bit of it is real.

Also, look for differences in cache size on the CPU. I know on some of the Giga Designs CPUs I looked at recently, the real fast ones (1.8 GHz) lacked a L2 cache, and so performed about the same as the 1.5 GHz CPUs with a big honkin' L2 cache.