Image Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, something has happened that has altered the way my computer deals with image files. I can't put my finger on it but the problem is as follows:

My images, PDF's etc, all the files that used to open with Preview are now opening by default with ColourSync. I thought it might have been a simple problem but when I opened the inspector window and tried to change the default program, Preview wasn't listed, nor was it listed under the "Recommended Applications" menu. I chose it anyway however and sure enough that worked but now any files that are designated to open under Preview are called "Preview Documents" rather than "JPEG" or "PDF" etc.

This wouldn't bee too much of a problem but now, when I search for image files through Spotlight, these files come up under the "Documents" kind instead of the "Image" kind. When I switch the default program back to ColourSync the problem remains.

The slideshow option in the finder and in Mail is no longer available as the OS doesn't recognise the attachments or files as images.

I have trashed the preference files for Finder, Preview and ColourSync, repaired permissions a dozen times including via the Start Up DVD and still no change, can anyone help me?\\

update - the slideshow works in Mail

update - the problem is not present in a second "clean" user account

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    supertedsuperted Posts: 41member
    Anybody have any ideas? I have reinstalled Preview from the installer DVD, it's driving me crazy!!