How does Podcasting work?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm intrigued by Podcasting but I'm not quite sure what it is exactly and how it works. How much does it cost to subscribe to Podcasts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

I'm intrigued by Podcasting but I'm not quite sure what it is exactly and how it works. How much does it cost to subscribe to Podcasts?

The future of radio, according to what a radio journalist friend of mine was told at a seminar she attended recently (the speaker gave radio as we know it a mere 5 years of life).

Radio on demand, if you like. Allows you to pick and choose what you listen to and when. Delivered via RSS allowing you to subscribe to podcasts so they download automatically. You can then sync them to your iPod (or other player) or just listen to them on your computer. Both traditional radio stations and networks as well as an army of recently hatched "amateur" podcasters are currently contributing content.

Podcast Wiki

Cost: free and up (plenty of free stuff at the moment).

Don't you have iTunes
  • Reply 2 of 4
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I've been wondering about this myself -- have just been given a new iPod and was looking into podcasts. I found many on iTunes, and subscribed to a couple, but wonder how it works from there. Does my computer need to be on and awake for them to download? Or will they download next time I wake/start the computer? Do they download in real time, or is it a file of some kind that downloads quicker? Lots of questions! Thanks for any info!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Your computer has to be on, and iTunes has to be open (or whatever you're using- I had been using iPodderX Light before)

You can set in the preferences pane how iTunes will look for podcasts, on it's own daily or weekly: both of which will automatically launch iTunes, or manually. The hour long shows I listen to (KCRW's Good Food and Harry Shearer's le Show) take just a couple of minutes to download.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    ... then you can listen to them from your Mac or copy them to your ipod.