Going to SF

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Yep.

Tomorrow.

Edited by me: removed too-happy comments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    Timing is everything H.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    You know what, you're right.

Part of me wants to just not give in in any small way, just to ... be myself.

But it's a brave face. I actually feel sick.

Yes, you're right.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    digitaldavedigitaldave Posts: 445member
    Harald,

Hope you have a good time . My wife and I are off there in early August, so any handy tips would be greatly appreciated .

Dave.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

Harald,

Hope you have a good time . My wife and I are off there in early August, so any handy tips would be greatly appreciated .

Dave.

If you go to San Francisco... go to the Carnelian Room, it's a dining place and cocktail barin the 52st floor of the Bank of America Tower. Perfect View of the whole city, especially after sunset. Great thing to to the first (or last) evening in the city.

If you have a chance to see the Golden Gate without fog, take it -- it might be your only chance.

Don't spend too much time in the typical tourist traps such as Fisherman's Wharf or in the waiting line for the Cable Cars at Powell/Market. If you want to ride a Cable Car without long lines, take the California line from Californa/Market up to Nob Hill. It is much less used than the other lines, and very much fun because of the steep hills.

Be prepared to meet some very crazy guys on the street, but don't be afraid, the're harmless (at least most of them).

If you have time and a car, go to 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino

Enjoy SF - it's really the place to be.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Don't miss going inside St. Mary's Cathedral on Gough. It's unreal. Then walk down the hill and eat some fucking great buffalo stew on the corner.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hi Harald.....

Make time for:

The Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park. It's beautiful and relaxing, plus you can check out the soon to be completed deYoung Museum right next to it-- an architectural tour de force clad in hammered copper.

A stroll down the now thriving Embarcadaro, on the city's eastern bay front. After the 89 quake we tore down a double decker freeway that had made the waterfront dark and unpleasant, replacing with a broad boulevard that affords great views of the bay and a sports a couple of cool little cafe/bars.

The Yerba Buena Center for the Arts/Museum of Modern Art, a short walk from the Embarcadaro. A large complex including a pretty greensward (with waterfall), a Sony Metreon urban mall thing (with some good restaurants), a performing arts center, and the Modern across the street, also a very striking piece of architecture.

If you have access to a car, be sure to drive over the Golden Gate into the Marin headlands. Some of the prettiest land in the world, undeveloped except for some sheep and cattle ranches. Points of interest include Muir woods (old growth redwoods, but be sure to hike a bit up off the valley floor to get away from the crowds), Stinson Beach (classic northern California costal community) and the Point Reyes Lighthouse.

Fisherman's Wharf is stupid, but the northern shore from there on is beautiful. You can walk the length of it to the anchorage of the Golden Gate Bridge, which gives a spectacular perspective.

North Beach, of course, for coffee is nothing else. After a period of decline the area has added some top notch Italian restaurants. Right next door to Chinatown, if you like that kind of thing....

Have fun! Bring sweaters!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Thanks for the tips.

I'll try and put finger to PowerBook when I'm out there.

Wish I could say why I was going
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Fantastic Japanese restaurant managed and I think chefed by a couple of Butoh dance masters, but I can't remember where.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Yep.

Tomorrow.

How funny. One of my very good friends (and co-workers) left today for San Fran. It's more of a social trip, though, since he's going with his woman, who is from that part of the world.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durin oakenskin

Don't spend too much time in the typical tourist traps such as Fisherman's Wharf or in the waiting line for the Cable Cars at Powell/Market. If you want to ride a Cable Car without long lines, take the California line from Californa/Market up to Nob Hill. It is much less used than the other lines, and very much fun because of the steep hills. .....

very very good advice. DO NOT WASTE PRECIOUS TIME in SF waiting with the other gawkers at Powell/Market, take the California line from California/Market or the other side California/VanNess

edit: better yet, do this: walk from market street all the way up to california street, via powell street. check out nob hill, grace cathedral, swanky hotels, some views if its not too foggy. hmm summer = fogtime

then take the california street cable car from there. you will need a beer though to refresh yourself first after doing that walk!! heh

if you are anywhere near Powell/Market, walk 1 or 2 blocks down to AppleStore!! at the corner of Market and Stockton