iPod apps - a possibility

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For all you nay-sayers, this is idea is like going the TI calc route (for those that don't know about this then please read up at ticalc.org). I just read somewhere that the current iPod OS is no more than an image stored on the iPod's hard drive, so it could theoretically be replaced.

TI was still able to issue firmware updates to their calcs, and this usually required a simple fix to the OS that TI calc programmers had created. But most games/apps were unaffected (as long as they called OS hooks, and not direct ROM calls that might be changed.)

I think this could really be cool. We could create apps for the iPod to extend its functionality beyond what Apple first thought of.

First a new iPod OS would need to be written, and then someone could write an mp3 app, someone could write a game, someone could write a contact manager, etc. As long as the OS was multitasking, mp3's could play while doing other things (looking up contacts, playing a game, etc).

Some good games were written in assembler for a 6 MHz Z80 processor (a TI-83 for example). Now, we have a good size display, some decent controls, and a faster processor (2 if I am not mistaken).

I believe the original gameboy was no more than a 6 MHz Z80 (modified a bit). Discussion of this goes on in the TI comunity every so often.

Well going off of what I said above, I just ordered a free evaluation CD (which I hope I get!), but it contains the following:

[quote]What's On the Evaluation CD

The evaluation version comprises:

? C and C++ compilers

? Assembler and linker

? An Integrated Development Environment

? Powerful GUI based debugger

? Instruction Set Simulators

? ROM-based debug tools

? Support for all ARM cores

? An interactive demonstration of features and benefits of ADS

? Documentation in PDF format

The tools included in the evaluation version are in no way different in functionality to those provided in the full product. The evaluation tools are supported on Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 and 2000.

The built-in evaluation license lasts for 45 days from the date of installation. No technical support is provided with the software.<hr></blockquote>

I have two things to say/ask.

1) Do you think that is enough to start writing new iPod apps? I am thinking yes, but am not sure. A full package is like $6000, so actually ordering it is out of the question, but tinkering around for 45 days would be cool. And yes they only have a PC version (so people would need to fire up VPC for this to get going.)

2) Please don't everyone go asking/requesting these kits. They would probably stop the program. If all works out, I would be happy to put a disk image on an ftp server so others could try it out as well.

Ben

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: kupan787 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Are you aware of the iPod's main easter egg?

Hint: You can do something other than play MP3's...

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I dont know if this is true multitasking, but the iPod can play MP3s while you play the secret game it comes with...

BTW, it seams very unlike apple to include an easter egg in its products. I thought steve jobs we very much against that. And seeing this was his little baby, im sure that he knew about it. Maybe its Apple's subtile way of saying , "Look whats possible" . Or maybe, playing brickles somehow increases RDF flow ??
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

<strong>Are you aware of the iPod's main easter egg?

Hint: You can do something other than play MP3's...

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes I am aware you can play breakout. What I am talking about is way more than just a simple breakout game.

People were able to write Super Mario Bros, Solitare, Chess (with AI), etc for a 6MHz Z80. We have here a much faster (and better) processor in the ARM.

I would love to see these kinds of games developed for the iPod, as well as usefll things like a contact manager, maybe a txt file reader (so you can load text files onto the iPod and read them, not write them on the iPod), a picture viewer.

This could be really cool.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Why rewrite the OS? The OS is fine. What it needs is applications. A finder, to browse the rest of the hard disk would be nice. And of course more games would also be nice. Pixo's developer information doesn't seem to be that helpful though. I hope someone can figure it out, or at least maybe let Apple create some nice APIs so more apps can use the iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by waffffffle:

<strong>Why rewrite the OS? The OS is fine. What it needs is applications. A finder, to browse the rest of the hard disk would be nice. And of course more games would also be nice. Pixo's developer information doesn't seem to be that helpful though. I hope someone can figure it out, or at least maybe let Apple create some nice APIs so more apps can use the iPod.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The OS would need to be rewritten so that other apps could be called. As it is right now, people could write the apps, but there is no way for the iPod to run them.

With a new OS (I aint talking anything super GUI like, but something simple like the current one), then we could actually launch the apps we have made.

I just got my iPod and need to know where the current OS is stored. I had heard it is on the hard drive, but I don't see it anywhere (I even tried one of those utilities that supposedly show the hidden stuff, but I couldn't get it to work).

Ben
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Just a little note for you Ipod users:

Macuarium, a spanish language Mac site, has a rumor that the Ipod will soon have an Ipod Game Pack with games from Nintendo. This could be one of the cool consumer items at the upcoming Macworld show.

Check it out: <a href="http://www.macuarium.com/macuarium/actual/rumores/2001_12_28_28ipodgames.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.macuarium.com/macuarium/actual/rumores/2001_12_28_28ipodgames.shtml</a>;

By the way, I only know 2 years worth of high school Spanish, so I am no help on translating.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Translated version:

iPod Game Pack

Apple and Nintendo prepare an authentic surprise for the Expo

28-12-2.001

In agreement with sources own and related to the console manufacturer, one of the surprises of Jobs in the Expo of San Francisco of next the 7 of January will be the incarnation of the rumors that circulated when iPod not yet had arrived at Spain (before even of which we proved it in primicia for you during the SIMO).

As you remember, the first version of the software of iPod incorporates a game (disguised like " easter egg " or joke of the programmer, to whom it is acceded through " About... ". One is Breakout , a game in which is to do that a ball bounces against a " wall " of bricks, until all are broken, and avoiding that when returning towards us escapes backwards. A very simple game that is controlled with the wheel of displacement of iPod, and that we have not found in the Spanish version.

Then, apparently soon we will be able to see in the small screens of iPods a series of games licensed by Apple Nintendo (we have not been able to confirm the titles but that is one of platforms ; -)) and controlled by means of the wheel - displacement and the bellboys of Backward movement - I shoot and Menu - jump -. the assembly would include at least five titles and would take the title of iPod Game Pack .

Another aspect that we have not been able to confirm is the price of iPod Game Pack. Although it would be possible to be contemplated as product (and Apple it has bought it fact) the philosophy of Apple until the moment seems to incline towards giving this type of software and using the pull to improve its sales of hardware.

Finally, we have created a graphical representation of the possible product to do an idea to us of its jugabilidad. You you do not lose it: -).

More information, day 7.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    And, in the graphical representation, we have...

[quote]<strong>

Feliz dia de los inocentes! :-)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or, in english, Happy Fools Day!

(December 26 is the Spanish equililant of April Fools day-We just studied it en la clase de Español.)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Damn...I was just getting my hopes up
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Eh, it didn't sound toooo thrilling. Just a kind of 'neat-o' bonus thing that would make the iPod all the more cool to potential buyers.

-Y
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I don't buy the Nintendo rumor. The Big N already has a handheld game platform, what could they possibly get out of writing games for iPod?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    more money