Virtual Desktops. Why?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why would I want to use a virtual desktop? A lot of people swear by them, but I haven't been able to see the advantages.

I do mostly graphic/video work. Would I see a benefit, and if yes, what would it be?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I used virtual desktops when I was using Linux as a desktop for development use. I'd place sets of apps in each Desktop, so that basically I could hide/show a set of windows with one click.

However, Expose and Tabbed applications make the feature moot in my opinion. So does having a decent size screen.

I want tabs to be a system-wide, official interface element. This would provide standard features, like rearranging tabs or tearing a tab off to spawn a new window. Or drag a window to a tab bar to have it dock to that window as a new tab. Things like that. Also, if you hover over a tab, it should snap forward.

As far as apps go, I just want tabs added to iChat and Terminal. I'd still use multiple windows as I do now, but I could group a few together to reduce window clutter.

A boy can dream can't he. 8)