I predict the exit of two new MacMini for the next Apple Expo in September...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think the two models will be configured like this :

- one with 512 Mo and the new low power G5 at 1,4 Ghz, ethernet gigabit, 1 Firewire 400 port, 2 USB2 ports, an ATI 9600 GPU with 64 Mo.

- the other with always 512 Mo and the new low power G5 at 1,6 Ghz, ethernet gigabit, 1 Firewire 400 port, 2 USB2 ports, an ATI 9600 GPU with 64 Mo, Airport Extrem, Bluetooth 2.0.

What do you think about my vision ?

The bets are open !!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Bets are open? I wouldn't put even a wooden nickel on the prospect of seeing a G5 in a Mac mini.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Your vision needs corrective lenses. Apple does need to update the Mini, though. It needs 64 mb vram, 5400 rpm drives across the board at 60 & 100 gb, and should be bumped to the 1.42 & 1.67 GH CPUs.

The G5 in a mini is not going to happen. The Pentium M will, late next spring, probably.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    no G5 and no Gigabit Ethernet
  • Reply 4 of 9
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Your vision needs corrective lenses. Apple does need to update the Mini, though. It needs 64 mb vram, 5400 rpm drives across the board at 60 & 100 gb, and should be bumped to the 1.42 & 1.67 GH CPUs.

The G5 in a mini is not going to happen. The Pentium M will, late next spring, probably.

Supposedly, the 1.42 GHz G4 in the mini has a typical power rating of 19W. You could have the 1.4 and 1.6 GHz G5s in the mini fairly easily, so long as the peak power isn't unusually higher than that of the G4s.

I can imagine that the Mac mini would be a surprisingly effective desktop with a low-power G5 and a video chipset with 64 MB of VRAM.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    exhibit_13exhibit_13 Posts: 110member
    heat isn't the only issue here. theres no way it could stay at the same price piont and have a G5 in it. also, they'd never bump up the lowest-level computer they have past the emac or even their laptops. if you could get a G5 for 500 dollars, there'd be no way people would pay for any other computer they offer. its just not gonna happen.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    You just don't "drop in" an entirely new processor into a computer. At this point it's almost assured that the next major processor change in every Apple computer will be when they move to an Intel chip. The only exception would likely be some SP G5s going to MP G5s but those changes are less radical than G4-->G5.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    This is very feasible.

Since Tivo now does not suppor the Mac for their Tivo Desktop or Tivo To Go, the market now has Apple in the postion where they have to build their own. This means that the Mac Mini is the logical choice, and since 802.x isn't yet able to push HD yet, Gigabit E would be a logical upgrade to the specs.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    A G5 mini or new "midi" would be nice but I don't think we'll see any all-new Macs before Intel. It just wouldn't make sense since PPC is being phased out.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member