A couple of easy quesitons from a Newbie

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's an assortment of questions I've gathered during my new adventures in Appleland.

[1] Is there any way to change the colors of the various "calendars" in iCal? I'd like to add more/different colors that those that default beyond the default 6 colors. (i.e. I have six different calendars (work, home, birthdays, etc) and if I add a seventh, iCal reuses one of the previous colors)

[2]In all applications, in the menubar under the app name, there is a list of "SERVICES". I haven't been able to figure out what exactly they or for or when to use them

[3] Is there any way to have programs loaded at startup in a minimized window?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    As for the calendars, if you right-click (or control-click) on the calendar you want to change you can select show info. Then you can click on the color and select Custom to customize.

Not sure about Tiger, but in Panther in System Preferences-->Accounts-->Startup Items you can have the item be hidden when it starts up. Some apps have an Open at Startup Pref which allows you to have it minimized, but these are often P2P apps, etc.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Launch System Preferences then select Accounts. Select your account then click the Login Items tab. Now you can add applications that will launch when you login. There is a check box to optionally hide the application after launch.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

[2]In all applications, in the menubar under the app name, there is a list of "SERVICES". I haven't been able to figure out what exactly they or for or when to use them

Services are where one application makes a function available to other applications.

The best way to try out Services is in Safari.

Select some text in Safari. Most services are dimmed because there is nothing selected for them to do anything with.

Try this one: select some text, and then choose Safari->Services ->TextEdit -> New Window Containing Selection. Then go to TextEdit and you will see the results.

Here is another one -- if I wanted to tell you the syntax of an AppleScript that trashes Safari's "Icon" folder, I could just write these 3 lines:

try

\ttell application "Finder" to delete folder "Library:Safari:Icons" of home

end try

And if you select those 3 lines above and choose Safari ->Services ->Script Editor ->Make New AppleScript, then Script Editor will make a new window with the 3 lines in it, and all you would have to do is save it as an application and run it whenever you want.

The key is to select something first.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Thanks! I'm really starting to love my Mac!