Question about Dual channel memmory in imac g5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm just ordered an imac g5 17in 2.0ghz and I want to use dual channel memmory in it.



It came stock with a 512MB pc3200 stick and I want to know if I can just add another 512MB pc3200 ram stick for dual channel, or if it has to be the exact same model as the apple OEM ram that came with it?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    As long as the two RAM sticks match (ie DDR400 PC3200, 512MB) then you will take advantage of the dual channel memory. They do not have to be the same brand.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

    As long as the two RAM sticks match (ie DDR400 PC3200, 512MB) then you will take advantage of the dual channel memory. They do not have to be the same brand.



    At the apple store they said that I dose not matter if the RAM sticks match. The iMac G5 memory will run at the same speed. What the real scoop here?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    I would not expect the iMac line to use memory interleaving. So it does not matter if the memory is exactly paired or not. You will not get better performance (other than the boost from not swapping out).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,740member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

    I would not expect the iMac line to use memory interleaving. So it does not matter if the memory is exactly paired or not. You will not get better performance (other than the boost from not swapping out).



    Sorry, but that is just wrong.



    You don't have to use memory pairing, but if you do, you will get a performance increase.



    In order to take advantage of the iMac's 128 bit bus, The DIMMS have to be EXACTLY the same, right down to chip configuration and CAS latency timing: see here:



    Apple tech support document



    If you want to be sure of the DIMMS matching, it is a much better idea to buy a matched pair and to sell the DIMM that came in your iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Mr. H

    Sorry, but that is just wrong.



    You don't have to use memory pairing, but if you do, you will get a performance increase.



    In order to take advantage of the iMac's 128 bit bus, The DIMMS have to be EXACTLY the same, right down to chip configuration and CAS latency timing: see here:



    Apple tech support document



    If you want to be sure of the DIMMS matching, it is a much better idea to buy a matched pair and to sell the DIMM that came in your iMac.




    kingston ValueRam matched pair seems good for this sort of dual channel shingamadoo (yes i just made that word up)....



    here's a thread on BYODKM supporting this:

    http://www.byodkm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2115



    and HardMac mentioned something about it last year. their utility seems to be offline though:

    http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....004-09-24#2917



    .........
Sign In or Register to comment.