External Firewire Drive Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I was passed along a 160GB FantomDrive that that keeps reporting disk errors.

Files copy over to the Fantom fine, but when I try to open the individual files, I get a disk error/corrupted file message.

I've tried the drive on several computers, with different firewire cables, but always the same thing.

I've reformatted the drive (disk utility) several times (including "zeroing the data", but no help.

What's my next step in trying to salvage the drive?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Hi all,

I was passed along a 160GB FantomDrive that that keeps reporting disk errors.

Files copy over to the Fantom fine, but when I try to open the individual files, I get a disk error/corrupted file message.

I've tried the drive on several computers, with different firewire cables, but always the same thing.

I've reformatted the drive (disk utility) several times (including "zeroing the data", but no help.

What's my next step in trying to salvage the drive?

thanks!

You're formatting as Mac OS Extended, right?

If it fails on different cables and different computers, I think it's toast. Is it under warranty? If so, Fantomdrives has an RMA link on their page.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    "You're formatting as Mac OS Extended, right?"

Yes.

It's no longer under warranty.

"If it fails on different cables and different computers, I think it's toast."

Aren't there other things I could try before writing off the drive -- like change the enclosure, or try a third-party disc utility?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    I doubt it. A disk utility only attempts to fix the problems on a disk. It doesn't repair nonworking hardware. This drive sounds like it just doesn't work mechanically. A new enclosure only works if you can't connect and get power. Since you can write to the hard drive sometimes but the disk is just not always working another enclosure would just be like putting a paint job on a car that keeps breaking down.

I wouldn't trust the disk after this anyway, even if you could hypothetically get it to work.