powerbook serial number

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
the serial number of my powerbook no longer is appearing in either the "about this mac" splash screen, or, in the "more info" detailed info.

what would have caused the serial number to disappear?

and how do i get it to reappear?

thnx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    If you click on the OS version number on the initial page it should cycle through the OS version, the build, and then the serial number.

Though given that you say it does not appear in the hardware overview I guess this means it has gone.

Has your PB been in for any repairs?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    it does cycle. however on the serial number pane it merely says "serial number" and does not say the actual number.

it has been in repair a few weeks ago

however, it is the same machine as i sent in for repair. there is a small scratch on the bottom side of the casing where it was. also, in the battery compartment, the serial number is correctly stated on the wall of the battery compartment.

i really would like to find out why about this mac does report it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    The problem is caused by the repair. What did it go in for?

This question tended to pop up a lot with logic board replacements and from memory there is nothing that can be done about it, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

• Reply 4 of 4
    hmm...

your post caused me to check my iMac G5 as well...

It had the logic board replaced a couple weeks ago ... and wouldn't you know it, The serial number doesn't show up anymore on mine now!!

So... it must be due to the repairs... though I couldn't say why.