For those considering a powermac g5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With IBM's recent announcement and the mactels 12-18 months away, what would you do if you knew the 970MP were going to be introduced in 6 months and Apple dropped prices on their current line by $500 across the board now?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    Apple doesn't need to drop the prices of today's computers. They're still selling.



    What'll happen is that those who don't want to pay today's pricing for today's Mac will wait for the next lineup which hopefully brings up up to PCI-Express and some other goodies.



    Intel based Powermacs are a ways away.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If they announced one sooner I would probably buy it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I'm itching to buy a 2.0Ghz DP G5 right now. The only thing that holds me back is the idea that the 970MP isn't far away. If I knew it would be six months I would buy a 2 gig right away. I may wait a little longer and see if any more info leaks out. Any advice, feelings, hunches or tips would be appreciated. I'll kick myself if the 970MP G5's come out the day after I buy.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I plan on getting a late model G5 mac after the mactels come out, when they're nice and cheap.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    To elaborate on my earlier post:



    If they came out now. MP 2.5 GHz G5 with the new Nvidia cards available I would buy one, but the MacIntels have a chance at having better graphics options if Apple plays it smart. Being that these will probably not be here in the next month I am going to wait, and see. After that if the pro graphics options are not improved to equal PC's I'm just going to buy another brand, and run OS X Leopard, or whatever on it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I wanted to upgrade my quicksilver 867 this summer, but I realized that I'm not in a terrible hurry. Of course I'd like a new 2.3ghz G5 (hey, doesn't everyone like to get new toys?), but I think I'm going to wait until apple price cuts their current models OR new models come out (whichever comes first). Of course, if December/January rolls around and neither of the two happens, I think I'm going to start itching again.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I have to say if Intel is the future for Apple then I'm waiting for the Intel PowerMacs. They better be fast, or else Mr. Jobs is gonna have an angry mob to deal with. I still think the AMD Opteron would have been perfect for the PowerMac line...
Sign In or Register to comment.