Does iPod w/mac promo mean no new laptops soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I hope not, since I've been anxiously waiting for a new iBook (still dreaming of a 14" widescreen)



But it seems this promo is the incentive for those shopping for a laptop for school. Designed to make those sitting on the fence to pull the trigger and buy the remaining inventory.



Only after September 24th (end of free iPod/laptop bundle), will we seen a completely revamped iBook line up. Sound about right?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,148member
    Who knows.



    Apple.



    I think it's a fait accompli that Apple's portable lineup is very stale.



    PowerBooks: Weak update on January 31, 2005.



    iBook: Last updated October 19, 2004.



    I cannot imagine Apple letting the iBook stagnate almost a year without an update, but then again, they let it happen to the iMac flat-panel G4.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Perhaps something later in the calendar year... like mid november, but for sure something, even if a speed bump, by next Jan.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,148member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nak

    Perhaps something later in the calendar year... like mid november, but for sure something, even if a speed bump, by next Jan.



    I love how some like to arbitrarily throw around dates. Way too liberal. A speed bump by January? That's way too long a gap for just a speed bump, esp. when these products have already been bumped to death. Think of how stupid it sounds when you say a speed bump by January. 14 months and then just a "speed bump." Nuts!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thttht Posts: 3,062member
    What is "soon"? It's probably an August or September time frame for iBook and Powerbook updates. Apple will need at least 6 months to drain the channel (from the late Jan launch) of Powerbooks. iBooks are waiting on faster Powerbooks to be updated to prevent cannibalization.



    iBooks updated to 1.33 to 1.5 GHz 7447 processors.



    95% chance that Powerbooks will be updated with 1.67 to 1.8 GHz 7448 processors. 5% chance that Powerbooks will be updated with 1.6 to 1.8 GHz 970fx processors.



    That 5% chance is probably closer to zero since a Powerbook G5 likely requires a form-factor change (thicker notebook), and I think Apple would rather save a form-factor change, and accompanying marketing campaign, for the Mac/Intel laptop. If a G5 board can be shoe-horned into the current 15" and 17" exclosure, then I could increase the odds to 10%, maybe.



    I can also see new iBooks being announced a few weeks earlier than a new Powerbooks, just a few, like 3 or 4.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    the most surprising thing is how long these products have had the same video chipsets...especially the 9200..that's a few years old by now
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by cj171

    the most surprising thing is how long these products have had the same video chipsets...especially the 9200..that's a few years old by now



    It's all about the $$$, those 9200 chips are probably dirt cheap by this point.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Off topic a little bit, but does anyone know if this offer is available in the UK?



    I agree with THT, which is a perspective I haven't yet heard - about the form factor probably needing a change for a G5 processor. Apart from anything else, they probably wouldn't want to make them thicker anyway, something that hopefully wont need to be changed come the Intels.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I can't believe that it will be almost a year between iBook updates. Thanks MOTO, don't let the door hit you in the ##%. My daughter must report to college August 7th. She wants an iBook so I'm looking at the 14". She doen't need massive computing power, but the graphics card on a new machine should at least support core image, shouldn't it?



    Oh well, since she got a mini iPod for graduation, some one in our house will be getting the mini iPod because of Apple's promotion. gott'a look on the brightside mustn't I
  • Reply 9 of 11
    naknak Posts: 101member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DHagan4755

    I love how some like to arbitrarily throw around dates. Way too liberal. A speed bump by January? That's way too long a gap for just a speed bump, esp. when these products have already been bumped to death. Think of how stupid it sounds when you say a speed bump by January. 14 months and then just a "speed bump." Nuts!



    To each his own.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I agree that the iPod Back-to-School Edu. promo seems designed to "move product" and get current generations of iBooks and iMacs (and Mac Minis?) off the education dealer shelves and supplier channels. It runs till September 24.



    That would be the thing to do if Apple plans to introduce new models in the month or so after, in October + time frame, and doesn't want old model stock to contend with.



    Looking at the 'Know when to buy your Mac' site, which tracks Mac models and their last improvement dates, at buyersguide.macrumors.com, it looks like the iBook is the clear 'most-needy' model for an update. (Everymac.com is another good site to compare model specs and dates)



    So, besides presuming what seems to be a sure update to the iBook line in the fall (October+), perhaps that means a speed-bump for the iMac G5 and/or the iPod mini as well (since they just refreshed/consilidated the iPod white line this past month).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i'm aiming to by an iMac g5 17" for work/play by sometime in august. i've given up on this iBook stuff.
Sign In or Register to comment.